My SD card is empty now?!?

Reaction score
hi everyone, I really hope you can help me with this bizarre problem I have!

I bought a brand new 32gb SD card as I was getting ready to do a video interview with a band last night.
I put the SD card in my Nikon d3300 and filmed until the camera told me that i had roughly 10 seconds left on the card and I then took the full SD card out, then put a another card in to complete the last 5 minutes of my interview.

I have now just tried to view the file on my new 32gb(the main chunk of my interview) and it's not there. The memory card recognises that it was in my camera as it has a folder named d3300, however there is no data and it says that the available space is 32g(roughly, as we all know that SD cards give us slightly less)

I read that first aid would help and I ran that but it finished in a second and found no faults.

Please help me, this is a huge deal for me.

Thanks, Brian

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which model Mac?
-Which version of OS X?
-How are you reading the SD card on the Mac - built-in reader or external?
-What software to transfer the files - Nikon Transfer 2/ViewNX 2 or Image Capture/iMovie?
-Does the second SD card contain the last 5 mins of footage?
-Are the SD cards the same brand/speed?

C

Reaction score
Mac is 13' mid 2012
2.5 ghz inter core i5
Memory- 4gb 1600 MHz ddr3
SD card Inserted straight into the side of the MacBook
I just transfer my files straight from the folder on the desktop to my hard drive normally however when I opened the SD card folder to do so, there were no files just my camera folder(SD card fresh out the packet before the gig)

-the other card has the last 5 minutes of the interview yes.
The SD cards are identical in every way.

I hope this helps. Thanks so much for taking your time to reply

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries - thanks for the additional info.

Just out of curiosity - if you insert the cards back into the camera, are the video files there and can they be played in the camera?

C

Reaction score
No worries - thanks for the additional info.

Just out of curiosity - if you insert the cards back into the camera, are the video files there and can they be played in the camera?

C
No nothing to be found at all. (Apart from on the second memory card with the last 5 minutes)
What do you think has happened?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Well, the obvious would be that it didn't record/save properly on the first card. When it stated there were only ten seconds left, did you press pause, stop, etc. and then remove the card...or whatever the proper Nikon workflow is to stop a recording, remove the card, insert a new one, and continue recording? Sometimes it takes a few moments to fully write the data in the buffer to the card. If that was interrupted, then it could have corrupted the entire recording and not show any files at all on the card.

There are third-party apps like CardRaider and File Juicer that can sometimes recover files from SD cards.

C

Ask a Question