My MacBook Vs. my phone

Reaction score
As with most things I post on this Mac-Help, I am unsure if this is a stupid question but I'll type regardless (winks).

The iSight little camera that is build into my MacBook Pro, can it only be used as a "still" picture taking device or is there a way to allow it to video anything that I do? It seems strange to me that my £100 phone with a camera on it as small as this one can do video and this £1900 machine cannot?

Is there a story to this camera beyond PhotoBooth and the ability to video conference etc in iChat (of which I am not an account holder at .mac). I mean, if it can video in a 'webcam' way for iChat, is there an application that can be sought that will allow me to use it as a video camera (as such)?

Grant {TartanSparkle}

Reaction score
its a webcam nothing more or less and as such can only be used as a webcam
you dont need a .mac account to use ichat ichat is nothing more then a ugly repackage of aim and the abilitiy to sign in with a .mac or a aim account

the build in isght camera isnt movable enough to be anything else then a webcamera anyway

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

upgrade QuickTime to the Pro version, then you will be able to record video from your camera...

Sign up to .mac for the free trial account, this will give you a .mac name which you need for iChat...you keep this name even if you don't subscribe ! (or you can sign up for a AIM/AOL ISM account which is also free and does the same job)

You can then give this name out to your friends/family to 'iChat' with.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
I do believe you can record in iMovie as well, no? (I don't have an iSight or other webcam, so that's just a guess)

Reaction score
Yes, you can record in iMove. Slide the slider located next to the play button somewhere, from the scissors icon to the camera icon. Then you should be able to record video. I am not sure if you need QT Pro or not. I have QT Pro so I can't check.

Reaction score
It appears you are correct on this one!! I don't have QT Pro and I am not going to py the money to use it {as I don't believe that I need it}.

I tried out this recording with iMovie and it does work. When you switch to the iSight cam it will film you and this can be saved and obviously mixed with audio etc on iMovie and can be dropped into iWeb etc.

Cool

Ask a Question