My MacBook Air no longer "sees" my iPhone4 or my iPad

Reaction score
I have the original MacAir, running OSX 10.5.8. About a week ago I had a general system meltdown that started with my Entourage program refusing to boot due to a "damaged database".

Attempted to rebuild per onscreen instructions, but the rebuild routine stalled out. Upon rebooting, the system took LITERALLY more than 5 minutes to come up. When it did, each mouse click took minutes to register.

Ran DiskUtility from the original startup disk. Dozens of permissions and other aberrations were discovered and SUPPOSEDLY repaired.

After that, the system started up pretty much as per normal until I plugged my iPhone in to upload some pictures to iPhoto and sync to iTunes.

Nothing happened when I attached my iPhone. It wouldn't even start charging, let alone show up in the iTunes or iPhone windows. Same with my iPad. I keep both my iTunes and iPhoto libraries on an external drive, which I port in through a powered USB hub. Those libraries both show up fine. Only no iPhone or iPad.

When I detach the external hub and plug the iPhone directly into the MacBook Air, the phone DOES start powering up. But it still does not show up in iTunes or iPhone.

(I've been keeping my libraries on external drives for years. Never been an issue until the recent meltdown.)

The Apple site's DefCon 5 recommendation (after everything else has been tried) is to re-install iTunes. I don't mind doing that but this seems to be some systemwide refusal to recognize my iDevices.

Little help?

Happy holidays,
Hershco

Ask a Question