MS Word: how to make sure that endnote numbers don't turn from arabic into roman?

Reaction score
Dear all,

I wrote an academic text with over 100 endnotes with arabic numbers, which I want to publish in an academic journal. I'm glad they recently gave the go-ahead for publication, but before that can actually happen I have to fix a formatting problem which gives me headaches.

The publisher's formatting guidelines specify that all endnotes must be in arabic numbers, but when submit my text to the publisher all numbers miraculously turn into roman numbers! This happens when the editor opens my word file and it also happens when I convert my file into a pdf. Can anyone help me fix this problem?

I use MS Word 2008, version 12.3.6.

Best,

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

This may be beyond our scope of support, but we'd be happy to try.

-Which version of OS X?
-Who is the publisher and can you post a link to the set of their publishing guidelines?
-Could it be a font issue?

C

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for your replies. I'm using Mac OS X Yosemite. I think there's a misunderstanding. The text is written in English and the numbering of the footnotes in my text is arabic as opposed to roman, so the numbers in my text are our normal numbers 1, 2, 3, 4. But when the publisher opens the document or when I convert it into a pdf one doesn't have 1, 2, 3, 4 anymore, but I, II, III, IV etc. I would like to find a way to ensure that the footnotes are always 1, 2, 3, 4, no matter who opens the file and also after converting into a pdf.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Ahhh...OK. You mean standard numbers (Arabic): 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. vs Roman numerals: I, II, III, IV, etc.

Have you double-checked the setting for the footnote formatting in Insert > Footnote... > Options... > All Footnotes/All Endnotes > Number Format: and made sure they are both set to 1, 2, 3, ...

The defaults are All Footnotes (End of page) - 1, 2, 3, ... and All Endnotes (End of document) - i, ii, iii, ...\

C

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
No misunderstanding here at all.

Did you read the section on that linked page regarding MS Office 2008 and it's problems with support for the Arabic language & the offered workaround?

The only major disadvantage, however, is the lack of support for Arabic. This means that you cannot even open a .doc file, for example, that is written in Arabic.

Sometimes you have to clutch at straws.

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your replies! The problem is solved now. It worked by copying the text into a new document (which caused all endnotes to turn into roman numbers), then highlight everything and select arabic figures in the footnote menu.

Ask a Question