Mojave OK?

Reaction score
Dear Helpers!

I would like to install the MacOS Mojave upgrade. I have noticed, that my Mac (MacBook Pro ,Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013) is fit for this and read (in appletips etc.) how I can prepare for it by first upgrading all apps and creating enough space etc. etc.. It is clear that this is not an automatic update, but an upgrade. So I have to be careful.
Before I do install the upgrade I would like to know if Mojave already endured the childrens' diseases. I read, that some difficulties may arise and often the solution for these are discribed. What is the experience of the average colleague-upgrader? Is there blowing a gale in the community? Or do I suffer from fear for cold water?

Hope to hear from you and thanks already for that, Dirk

Reaction score
I have just upgraded my MacBookPro to Mojave, with no problems as yet I will see how it goes for a short while before upgrading my iMacs. Before upgrading I did a full backup & cleanup and also cloned the Hard drive in case of any problems. You will need to check that your software will be able to work with the new OS.

Check this thread

Reaction score
Thanks, Lufbrarunner, for posting that link. There are already two more recent threads about Mojave, and I posted comments on both of them. (By the way, after using the info you provided last week about the upgrade for SuperDuper! (thanks for that!), when I launched it a couple of days after applying that V3.2 update, a newer version, V3.2.1, was available. Used the new version on Saturday to back up both of my Macs (as I usually do), and as expected, it worked flawlessly (I am still using High Sierra)).

For denetoet: besides making the (obvious) necessary backup preparations, it is important to check out that site:

https://roaringapps.com/apps

to determine if any third-party (ie, non-Apple) software you have is compatible with Mojave. Already on one thread, one user is have issues with Silverlight (even though he is having issues with this "through" Safari, I suspect the same thing would occur with other browsers).

Is there a real "pressing" need to upgrade now? As is usually the case, there are always some bugs inherent with the initial release of any Mac OS, and it is best to wait until at least the first update, OS 10.14.1, is released.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Dear Honestone!
Just for my education:
You are often praising SuperDuper as a very useful application. I myself use TimeMachine on my Mac using external disks (one all day, one every wednesday). I get the feeling that what I do is not sufficient. Am I wrong? Does SD cover more things or other items? Or is it just easier to use?
Hope to read you and thanks beforehand, Dirk

Reaction score
Appreciate the question denetoet. What I like about SuperDuper! (Carbon Copy Cloner is another excellent program that does the same thing (although it does one additional thing)) is that it makes a bootable backup/clone of my system. Yes, I said bootable. It's almost like having another machine, and makes recovery/new Mac OS installation (or even doing a clean installation of any Mac OS release) easier, faster, and I have much more control over all that. For example, if I were to have "difficult and/or impossible situation to repair software issues" that disabled either of my Macs, I can boot either machine from their most recent/respective SuperDuper! backups (I do my weekly maintenance/backup tasks once a week, typically on a Saturday; of course I am doing daily disk cleanup on my own), and either do a clean, fresh installation of the Mac OS and a subsequent "migration"/copying of all my needed "stuff" from the backup, or just do a complete recovery. No worrying/hassles, etc. about doing it off the internet, as it is a local sequence of events.

When I upgrade to Mojave (will be sometime in December, after Micromat releases a Mojave-compatible version of Tech Tool Pro (it's the last application I am waiting for)), here is what I will do:

1. Download the latest Mojave installation file from the App Store (I suspect it will be OS 10.14.2 by then).

2. Make a copy of that file in another location on my internal SSD.

3. Go through my usual maintenance/backup tasks, ie, run Onyx, then Tech Tool Pro, and finally SuperDuper!.

4. Restart the respective Mac from that just-completed SuperDuper! backup.

5. Launch Disk Utility from there, and have it Erase and Format the internal SSD.

6. Navigate to where I made a copy of that Mojave installation file (step 2 above), launch it, and let it do a clean, fresh, "virgin" installation of Mojave onto the internal SSD.

7. At the end of that installation, I'll be offered the opportunity to "migrate"/copy needed "stuff" from my backup. I choose that, and it proceeds.

8. When #7 completes (and after a couple of more setup "steps"), I restart my Mac, with Mojave.

9. This step is for my situation. Install the Mojave version of Onyx, and launch Tech Tool Pro to create the eDrive partition.

That's it. Seems like a lot of effort, but actually it goes smoothly. And I have been doing it for so long, it is second nature to me. And I always have success with it. (I even do it when I want to re-install an intermediate version of the Mac OS, instead of just upgrading in place).

There is nothing wrong with using Time Machine, and most folks on here use it, with success. It does the job well. I just like having more control, and especially like it that the backup is bootable. That feature alone has "saved my bacon" a number of times.

Like Time Machine, one can do scheduled backups/"updates" with either SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner. (I don't need to do that). The two differences between the two products are 1) SuperDuper! (SD) costs $27.95 US, whereas Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) costs $39.99 US, and 2) CCC also backs up the "hidden" Recovery HD partition, whereas SD does not. That is not a detriment for me, as 1) it gets created on a clean installation of the Mac OS, and 2) there are other ways of creating it. Either SD or CCC can be used in "trial/demo" mode, with full functionality. In fact, I used SD in "trial" mode for almost a year before I paid for it. The main benefit I saw after paying for the product was that it was/is faster.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Dear Helpers!

I would like to install the MacOS Mojave upgrade. I have noticed, that my Mac (MacBook Pro ,Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013) is fit for this and read (in appletips etc.) how I can prepare for it by first upgrading all apps and creating enough space etc. etc.. It is clear that this is not an automatic update, but an upgrade. So I have to be careful.
Before I do install the upgrade I would like to know if Mojave already endured the childrens' diseases. I read, that some difficulties may arise and often the solution for these are discribed. What is the experience of the average colleague-upgrader? Is there blowing a gale in the community? Or do I suffer from fear for cold water?

My upgrade was very smooth, no issues at all.

Reaction score
Dear Helpers!

Denetoet: I installed Mojave about week ago, with only one problem resulting: it'll chew your battery right up. I went from a 100% charge to 35% in 6 hours. Normally my battery would last two full days. The 10.14.1 update helped, but I still have to recharge about every 10 to 12 hours. Also, be aware that Apple has done away with the ability to downgrade back to High Sierra, so once you go to Mojave, there you'll stay.

Reaction score
When I did a clean installation of Mojave, V10.14, on my external Samsung 500 gig 860 EVO SSD, then "migrated"/copied needed "stuff" from the *then) most recent SuperDuper! backup, and then restarted my Mac Mini from that external SSD (via a USB 3.0 connection), it took a while for the booting process to complete (most likely due to USB 3.0 connectivity), but once in that "environment", things went well. And everything remained the same after I upgraded to OS 10.14.1 "in place". Except for Tech Tool pro (waiting for the Mojave-compatible version, which will be in December), all my applications ran well, especially my third party ones.

Speaking of upgrades, it looks like the second beta of OS 10.14.2 has been "seeded" to developers:

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/11/07/apple-seeds-macos-mojave-10-14-2-to-developers/

Just like clock work, I am expecting that when that Mojave-compatible version of Tech Tool Pro is available next month, that OS 10.14.2 will have been released (or shortly thereafter). So I will begin by doing a fresh, clean installation of OS 10.14.2, then "migrating"/copying needed "stuff" from a SuperDuper! backup that I will complete prior to the OS 10.14.2 installation. I am expecting things to go smoothly. And once I do this on both of my Macs, start up times will, of course, be faster. Just hope it is faster than with High Sierra, which is s resource hog.

Reaction score
When I did a clean installation of Mojave, V10.14, on my external Samsung 500 gig 860 EVO SSD, then "migrated"/copied needed "stuff" from the *then) most recent SuperDuper! backup, and then restarted my Mac Mini from that external SSD (via a USB 3.0 connection), it took a while for the booting process to complete (most likely due to USB 3.0 connectivity), but once in that "environment", things went well. And everything remained the same after I upgraded to OS 10.14.1 "in place". Except for Tech Tool pro (waiting for the Mojave-compatible version, which will be in December), all my applications ran well, especially my third party ones.

Speaking of upgrades, it looks like the second beta of OS 10.14.2 has been "seeded" to developers:

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/11/07/apple-seeds-macos-mojave-10-14-2-to-developers/

Just like clock work, I am expecting that when that Mojave-compatible version of Tech Tool Pro is available next month, that OS 10.14.2 will have been released (or shortly thereafter). So I will begin by doing a fresh, clean installation of OS 10.14.2, then "migrating"/copying needed "stuff" from a SuperDuper! backup that I will complete prior to the OS 10.14.2 installation. I am expecting things to go smoothly. And once I do this on both of my Macs, start up times will, of course, be faster. Just hope it is faster than with High Sierra, which is s resource hog.
Subsequent re-boots from your external SSD should be much, much faster. The initial startup, especially from an external drive and over a USB 3 bus, will seem agonizingly slow. But as I said, subsequent startups should be quicker.

Reaction score
That seems to be the case, although so far (have only done it a couple of times), the difference in speed is not that "great". And upgrading to V10.14.1 did not seem to make much (if any) difference.

Of course I expect a substantial difference when I upgrade to Mojave on both of my Macs, with internal SSDs. Part of that is based on your excellent reports about that!

Ask a Question