General
Tabs
AutoFill
Passwords
Security
Privacy
Extensions
Advanced

I recently updates Safari, and I think I "lost" some tabs in the process. I know the style sheet (under Advanced) that I use was removed by the update, but I could add it. I am pretty sure I had also the follwing tabs:

Appearance
Bookmarks
RSS

Maybe I am missing some other tabs? Is my memory playing tricks on me? How can I get the missing tabs back?

Oh, and if anybody can tell me how to get rid of the infernal Top Sites feature in Safari 6.1, I'll be very grateful.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Those tabs have been remove and their functionality move or removed.

General > New window open with: Home Page

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

I have set General > New window open with: Home Page or Empty Page. Was that the only feature in the previious Appearance tab?

Top Sites still exists. Is there no way to get rid of it?

Last edited:
Reaction score
From the Appearance in v5 Default encoding is now on Advanced, there are no settings for Standard Font and Fixed Width font, but you can set these in a Style Sheet.
There is now no Display images when page loads checkbox.

Was that the only feature in the previious Appearance tab?
That wasn't on the Appearance tab, that's where its always been.

Top Sites still exists
has always been there, just click on the grid icon on the favourites bar to turn it off (wrong) Just click on any Web Page and it will go away.

Reaction score
There was previously a way to not have any Top Sites load. I don't remember the settings.

I don't know what you mean by "click on the grid on the favorites bar to turn it off." Top Sites still loads. I'm sure Top Sites slows the browser down. I just don't want this feature at all. Why didn't they include a "0" pages option in the Top Sites preferences?

Last edited:

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
There was previously a way to not have any Top Sites load. I don't remember the settings.

How is Top Sites bothering you? I never see it or use it … it's a feature I have no use for & it never loads by itself. The top sites grid icon is there on the toolbar if I wanted to use it though.

Having said that whenever Safari launches it opens up at the home page I've previously set in prefs & any new window or tab also opens as my pre-set home page but this is tweakable in the General tab in prefs …. Sorry if I've missed something. Are you asking for a way to have Top Sites load with the little windows all blank?

Reaction score
My aim is sometimes bad, and I accidentally hit the Top Sites icon. I don't even want Top Sites to load blank windows. I just want to be able to disable Top Sites, or even better, to remove it altogether. The menu bar is otherwise customizable.

Reaction score
You can remove it from the Toolbar, using View menu ~> Customize Toolbar, then dragging it off...

I already removed it from the upper line in the toolbar. But it can't be removed from the lower line, where the bookmarks and favorites live. :(

Last edited:
Reaction score
I don't want to lose my Favorites bar. That's where I conveniently access all my bookmarks. I loathe the sidebar. I guess I'm stuck with the Top Sites icon in the Favorites bar, even if I find it unfavorable.

Reaction score
View > Hide (the entry in the sidebar section)

Sorry, seem to be no way of removing Bookmarks and Top Sites Icons from Favorites bar

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
For what it's worth, the first 9 saved bookmarks in the Favourites Bar can each be accessed by a keyboard shortcut.

Command (⌘) + 1 through to 9 works at least in Lion 10.7.

This might help you some, hopefully :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-11-01 at 9.25.08 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-11-01 at 9.25.08 AM.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 445
Reaction score
Hi LeChuch,

My aim is sometimes bad, and I accidentally hit the Top Sites icon. I don't even want Top Sites to load blank windows. I just want to be able to disable Top Sites, or even better, to remove it altogether. The menu bar is otherwise customizable.

If you do not want to see top sites go to Safari > Preferences > General and look for the 4th box down (new window opens with) AS MY SCREEN SHOT and as a test from the menu choose your home page. Close preferences and then Safari, now reopen Safair and instead of top site you should see your home page.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-10-31 at 23.57.32.png
    Screen Shot 2013-10-31 at 23.57.32.png
    133.5 KB · Views: 495
Reaction score
Hi LeChuch,

If you do not want to see top sites go to Safari > Preferences > General and look for the 4th box down (new window opens with) AS MY SCREEN SHOT and as a test from the menu choose your home page. Close preferences and then Safari, now reopen Safair and instead of top site you should see your home page.

Hmm, I do not have the AS MY SCREEN SHOT option available. I only have Top Sites, Homepage, Empty Page and Same Page available.

Reaction score
For what it's worth, the first 9 saved bookmarks in the Favourites Bar can each be accessed by a keyboard shortcut.

Command (⌘) + 1 through to 9 works at least in Lion 10.7.

This might help you some, hopefully :)

I actually have my Favorites set up a bit different. Each Favorite is a category, a folder, which opens and reveals a large number of bookmarks. I've always used my Favorites that way.

Reaction score
Yes by changing the ( new window opens with option) as new screen shot. This will stop top sites being seen when you open Safari.:) or every time you start a new session.

Attachments

• ding.jpg
    ding.jpg
    342.4 KB · Views: 389

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I actually have my Favorites set up a bit different. Each Favorite is a category, a folder, which opens and reveals a large number of bookmarks. I've always used my Favorites that way.

Yeah, I too use Favourites for folders, just the first 9 in the list are the most visited websites which I keep outside of the other folders and access using the keyboard Commands #1-#9.

Ask a Question