Contacts missing after Sierra 10.12.5

Reaction score
I'm signed into my MacBook Air, mid 2014, running Sierra 10.12.5. After installing Sierra 10.12.5 several weeks ago, my Contacts list disappeared. I'm also signed into iCloud with the Contacts boxchecked. It should repopulate the Contacts list automatically, I think, but that isn't happening.

I can't replace it from a backup, because I don't have a 3-level backup system currently in place (I'll fix that!). I haven't been using TimeLine, nor backing up to an online site. Right now, I use Carbon Copy Cloner 4 to clone my system onto a LaCie external hard drive every night. My understanding is that cloning's great if your whole system goes down, but it's difficult to replace just one file from a clone.

A recent Norton full scan didn't show any problems. I also ran an Etresoft hardware and software report, which rated my system's performance as excellent. I have plenty of storage space available.

What do you recommend to replace my Contacts? And what do you recommend for online backup?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Try logging into icloud.com and verifying that your contacts are there. If so, go to  > System Preferences... > iCloud and uncheck Contacts. Open the Contacts app and see if they disappear. If so, restart your Mac, verify the Contacts app is still empty, then re-enable Contacts in the iCloud preference pane. It should then repopulate them from iCloud.

Let us know if that works.

C

Ask a Question