Microsoft Word 2020 Update on Macbook Air

Reaction score
Unfortunately, by not answering our questions directly, it's becoming more and more difficult to assist you. We do want to help you.

So, let me list the questions we need answers to:

1. Did you try Cory's suggestion? That could be the "simple" way out of this, although it seems like you have other issues that could "rear their ugly head".
2. How much free space is on your internal device? To easily find out, on the desktop, where you see the icon for the internal device, right click on it. One of the options is "Get Info" Select that, and you can then see how much free space you have (it will be listed where it says Available). It is disturbing that you get that message when you tried to download the OS 10.15.7 Combo Updater. At a minimum, it is best to have between 15 and 20% free space on your internal device.
3. You mentioned before that you were trying to get rid of back ups on your internal device. Yet you answered that by mentioning your Seagate external backup. So which is it: backups to your internal device, to the Seagate device, or both?
4. Again I ask have you ever done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs on your internal device? And again, you can do a good amount of disk cleanup on your own.

The reason why I mentioned LIbreOffice is that such a behavior is not happening when I print out a document via its equivalent Word module. Also, I did not see a similar option in the Preferences for the Writer Document Module (I have a different printer than you have).

Reaction score
1. Yes, I tried Cory's suggestion. Did not work.
2. See the attached screen shot for disc space question.
3. I'm trying to remove duplicate back-ups on the MacAir's hard drive.
4. Only the Genius Bar @ the Apple store did a disk clean-up.

I am not a teckie. Some of your questions are beyond my scope of computer knowledge. Therefore, the confusion. Thanks.

Attachments

• SYSTEM REPORT.jpg
    SYSTEM REPORT.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 75

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello again,

Normally, the printing issue you are having is caused by the setting in the Microsoft Word preferences I eluded to. If it is unchecked, then we'll have to look for another cause. I did a test here with the Document properties option enabled in Microsoft Word version 16.44 preferences on macOS Catalina 10.15.6, and it printed the second page as you described. The reason I believe it is a Word issue, is that you don't get that page when printing PDFs and other documents using applications other than Word. Do you get the second page when printing from any application other than Word?

I looked back at your PRINT PROPERTIES SCREEN SHOT.jpg, and that isn't the same place from my screenshot. In Word, yours is from File > Properties... on the menu bar. Try the following to check the setting I was referring to:

-In Word, click Word in the menu bar, then click Preferences...:

word.png

-Click Print:
preferences.png

Then uncheck Document properties if it is checked:
print.png

See if that is what is causing the printing issue, and we'll move on to the space/update issue when that is resolved.

C

Attachments

• word.png
    word.png
    47.2 KB · Views: 71
Reaction score
Hello again,

Normally, the printing issue you are having is caused by the setting in the Microsoft Word preferences I eluded to. If it is unchecked, then we'll have to look for another cause. I did a test here with the Document properties option enabled in Microsoft Word version 16.44 preferences on macOS Catalina 10.15.6, and it printed the second page as you described. The reason I believe it is a Word issue, is that you don't get that page when printing PDFs and other documents using applications other than Word. Do you get the second page when printing from any application other than Word?

I looked back at your PRINT PROPERTIES SCREEN SHOT.jpg, and that isn't the same place from my screenshot. In Word, yours is from File > Properties... on the menu bar. Try the following to check the setting I was referring to:

View attachment 3747

-Click Print:
View attachment 3748
View attachment 3749
See if that is what is causing the printing issue, and we'll move on to the space/update issue when that is resolved.

C
Hello again,

View attachment 3747

-Click Print:
View attachment 3748
View attachment 3749

C
Hello,

Please find a screen shot of my Print Options attached. No checkmarks on Document Properties. Thanks.

Attachments

• Print Unchecked Boxes.jpg
    Print Unchecked Boxes.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 73

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, great, thanks!

That is the only setting I have seen that prints a second page as you described originally, especially if it's only in Word.

Is the second page of the attached PDF what you are seeing?

C

Attachments

• Document1.pdf
    26.7 KB · Views: 79
Reaction score
The 2nd Microsoft Word printed page reads:

Filename: December 10. Mail Postcards

Directory: Marilyn

Template: Marilyn, Microsoft User.
Content. localized/Normal.
Containers. Office User.

Title:

Subject:

Author: Microsoft User

Comments:

Creation Date: 11/25/20 10:45 AM

Change #. 2

Last Saved On Date: 11/25/20

Last Saved By: Microsoft User

Total Editing Time: 9 minutes

Last Printed On: 12/10/20

As of Last Completed Printing:

Number of Pages: 1

Number of Words: 20

Number of Characters: 100

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

That is definitely that setting in Word > Preferences > Print > Document properties.

Maybe try checking it, close Word, open Word and uncheck it, close Word, open Word again, then try printing again.

C

Reaction score
Happy New Year All!
I guess you guys haven given up up on my printing issue.
OK, thanks.

That is definitely that setting in Word > Preferences > Print > Document properties.

Maybe try checking it, close Word, open Word and uncheck it, close Word, open Word again, then try printing again.

C

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Happy New Year to you as well!

We haven't given up at all. :)

Did you try my last suggestion? Honestly, it definitely sounds like the Word preference issue, as the text you posted is exactly what that setting in Word produces on a second printed sheet.

Let us know,

C

Reaction score
Happy New Year to you as well!

We haven't given up at all. :)

Did you try my last suggestion? Honestly, it definitely sounds like the Word preference issue, as the text you posted is exactly what that setting in Word produces on a second printed sheet.

Let us know,

C
Hi Cory, Please find my Word Preferences Screen Shot File Attached. I unchecked them all and I still get that second page printed. Thanks.

Attachments

• WORD PRINT PREFERENCES. .jpg
    WORD PRINT PREFERENCES. .jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 63
Reaction score
There is a work around, when the print dialog box comes up change the print range so that the last page is not printed.
i.e. if the range is 1 to 3 pages change it to 1 to 2.

Ask a Question