Struggling with Converting Microsoft Word to PDF

Reaction score
Hey All,

Firstly, apologies if this is the incorrect forum to post this question. Mods, please move this post if that is the case.

So, I'm having a strange problem when attempting to convert an MS Word document to PDF. The formatting is fine when in MS Word, but when attempting to convert to PDF, the text becomes choppy and uneven (characters look like they're floating off, really jagged). I tried using the "Save as PDF," "Save as Adobe PDF" options within Word and even downloading PDFWriter, but to no avail. If I save the document as a PostScript, the formatting is perfect, however, when I try to open it on my virtual machine for work (Windows), it attempts to open with Adobe Distillery and then again goes back to goofed up text.

I'm going to try to attach what I'm referring to in this post. What am I doing wrong? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Don

Here is the Word document with everything looking how it should.
59nG2tz.png

And here's where the frustration happens..

FrJu5W7.png

Reaction score
this looks like a font problem, it's converting it to a poor bitmap version. Sorry, I don't use Word nor Adobe.

Reaction score
Hi, Kaveman. I think you're right. After some more digging, I found this post on the Apple support forums: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3465821

This user was having the same issue I am experiencing, and it was solved by installing an older version of Baskerville (version 6.1d5e1). I've been looking around for the version 6 file but haven't had any luck. Do you have any insight as to where I may find this file?

UPDATE: I still haven't been able to locate that particular Baskerville file, however, there is an Open Source version available here: http://klepas.org/openbaskerville/

It's pretty close to the Baskerville that is on this Mac and installing this version took care of the PDF issue. Hope this can help someone out in the future.

Last edited:

Ask a Question