I Lost Microsoft Word?

Reaction score
Hello, I registered just to ask this question because I couldn't find it through google searches. I have a 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro. A few months ago I activated bootcamp and got everything running. I did this about three times over because of some complications (Not enough memory, etc)

I've deleted the windows side of my mac, and now for some odd reason, I can't find Microsoft Word at all, through searching through finder nor through spotlight. I'm in college currently and it's super important for me to have microsoft word in order to type papers. Is there a way that I can somehow download Microsoft word again without having to buy it separately? I mean, I bought the whole computer..

I hope I'm not thinking too far into the future, but surely there is a code or something that recognizes my computer as previously owning it?

Thank you very much for your time. This is bogging me down.

Reaction score
Word is neither a part of Windows nor the Mac, where do you think you got it from?

If you had the Windows version on the Windows side then its gone, with Windows.
If you had the Mac version on the OS X side then it will be in your Applications Folder, unless you deleted it.

Either way if its not there then you'll have to go back to where you purchased it, with Proof of Purchase and ask them to reinstall it, there may be a fee for this service.

Reaction score
Thank you very much Kaveman. I don't remember where I got it. It was the Microsoft word on the OS X side. I guess I unknowingly deleted it.

If I was to buy a whole new one, would it come with a product key or something of the sort?

Reaction score
If I was to buy a whole new one, would it come with a product key or something of the sort?
Yes.

This is a good reason to be using a Standard Account, then you can't unknowingly delete Apps.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Save your money puppetmastah and have a look at some of the free options that will work together with Microsoft Word. You can save files in a .doc format etc and have the ability to open and edit Word docs.

NeoOffice
OpenOffice.org
Bean

There are many more but these are the only ones I've used in the past. The first two can create Powerpoint and Excel spreadsheets but I rather like Bean it's extremely versatile and only weighs in at 13mb.

All 3 are freebies.

Here are the Save options available in Bean:

Don't forget TextEdit which comes preinstalled with your Mac and will also play fair with Microsoft Word too, here's TextEdit's Save dialogue window:

Reaction score
Phew, thank you so much Spawn_Dooley, makes me relieved I have other options for now. And thank you for the pictures and links as well, very helpful! I'll download one now.

Reaction score
By the way, this most recent episode of "losing" something provides more impetus for doing backups, on some kind of timely basis. Backup choices are:

1. Time Machine - Great for "at that instant" backups, but the backup is not bootable.

2. SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner - Unless one schedules it (not available with "free" version of SuperDuper!), "as of now" backups are not made. The backup is "at that point in time". But, the backups are FULLY bootable, which makes recovery easy and relatively fast.

Ask a Question