SOLVED Messages program in applications folder

Reaction score
When I turn on my computer I have been getting lately a prompt from the Messages program, which I never use. It asks me for a password which I don't know. I notice that there is no obvious way to purge my system of this program. How can I keep it from activating?

I have a Mac desktop running High Sierra.

Thank you for your help.

James Adrian

(e-mail address removed)

Reaction score
When I turn on my computer I have been getting lately a prompt from the Messages program, which I never use. It asks me for a password which I don't know. I notice that there is no obvious way to purge my system of this program. How can I keep it from activating?

I have a Mac desktop running High Sierra.

Thank you for your help.

James Adrian

(e-mail address removed)
Since I don’t see an option in Messages to launch it on at startup, at least not from the macOS version I’m running, it must be in your login items list in System Preferences (aka System Settings). The password is probably the same as your login password.

Reaction score
Tony,

I don't know where to find the login items list in System Preferences (aka System Settings). Can you help me with that?

Also, If I need my password (and it looks like I do) how can I retrieve it?

Thank you for your help.

James Adrian

(e-mail address removed)

Reaction score
Tony,

I don't know where to find the login items list in System Preferences (aka System Settings). Can you help me with that?

Also, If I need my password (and it looks like I do) how can I retrieve it?

Thank you for your help.

James Adrian

(e-mail address removed)
It looks like your Mac is set up to log in automatically, without entering your admin password. The newer versions of macOS will not let you do this anymore, so you need to update it next chance you get.

From the menu bar, select  -> System Preferences… then click on Users & Groups. My addled brain can’t remember all the details since I upgraded. I’m on Ventura presently so a lot has changed since High Sierra. If I miss some detail, maybe someone else can correct me.

Anyway, once the Users & Groups window opens, click on the Login Items button to open the list. Click on the one for Messages and then click on the “–” (minus sign, next to the “+” sign) to remove it from the list. If I missed some details, maybe someone here can help to clarify. System Preferences (now System Settings in Ventura) is so different now that I have trouble remembering the older interface.

I’m also assuming that Messages, indeed, was on the list. As for as I know, Messages does not have a separate setting to activate it automatically. If someone can determine otherwise, please step right up.

When you are initially setting up the Mac, you would be given the option of using your Apple ID and password in lieu of your admin password. I’m assuming you know your Apple ID password. And if you’re finding it impossible to reset your present admin password, you could try creating a new user and set it as an administrator. Since you are able to get into System Preferences so far, it looks like your automatic login is also recognizing you as the present admin.

You can then use the new admin as your default account. And DON’T FORGET to write down the new password. Good luck, James.

Tony

Ask a Question