Memory problems

Reaction score
I have a Powerbook 4 with built-in memory of 256mb.
I added Tiger OS 10.4.3 and can still run OS 9.1
I use OS 9.1 for my spreadsheets and word documents and OS 10 for my itunes.
I have a Lacie had drive with 227.4 gb memory available (my itunes library and photos are on the Lacie). Recently, every time I turn on the computer in OS 10, after it loads, it tries to load 9.1 but can't, telling me that my start up disk is full.
I have not been able to add any more music to my library, because I get a message that my start up disk is full, and it seems like this is the case. When I look at the "this computer" info on my classic screen, it tells me:
Version OS 9
built in memory: 256MB
virtual memor 257 M used on Mac HD
largest unused block 198.1 MB
Mac OS 48 MB
Microsoft Excel 11.8MB

I have noticed that people have viewed my posting but I have gotten no answers. Is the question too garbled? What does someone need to know to help me figure out whether I can use the Lacie external HD with my Mac? I may be so clueless on this, I am not even providing the right information.
Thanks,
J

When I use the start up disk to close down 9.1 and start up 10.4.3, I see the following:
icon that looks like a hard drive titled Mac HD version: Mac OS 9.1
folder titled Mac HD system folder version: Mac OS 9.1
folder titled Mac HD system folder version : Mac OS X 10.4.3

Have I somehow loaded 2 copies of the 9.1 OS on the HD? How can I utilize the rest of the memory in the LACIE for my music? Please help.

What have I done?

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

you are confusing Hard disk space with memory and so the figures you are giving don't really help... ;-)

Can you 'single' click on the hard drive icon and then do a "Command + i" on it, and give us those figures...

Like this...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Dear Ric,
Thanks for responding to a hopeless case! Here is the information you requested:
Kind: disk
format: Mac OS Extended
Capacity: 9.36 GB
Available: 97.2 MB
Used: 9.26 GB on disk, for 353,081 items
Where: Mac HD (ATA Bus 2 Dev 0, v3.2.7)
Is this what you needed?

Thanks,
Jennifer

Ask a Question