Problems with memory usage, archiving files and downloading in iTunes

Reaction score
I'm suddenly having several problems with my macbook pro, they seem to have popped up overnight and not sure what to do to fix. I am guessing they are related.

Problem 1 - running out of memory. I'm running out of memory with just bare bones programs running. Mail, iTunes and Chrome (only 1 tab). I killed all of my plugins and extensions in Chrome because I thought that was the culprit, but I'm still running out of memory. A week ago I was able to leave Firefox, Chrome and Safari all open with multiple tabs for days on end, plus Word, Excel and several other programs. I can suddenly barely use my computer. I haven't installed anything recently. I have 4 GB of memory. I've tried monitoring in Activity Monitor but can't come up with anything conclusive.

Problem 2 - Any time I compress a file larger than 8MB or so, the file is unable to be opened. I get "Error 2 - No such file or directory" when trying to unarchive. I've tried sending to friends and they are also unable to open, so it is a problem on my end compressing the files. I've only been able to successfully compress & reopen very small files.

Problem 3 - I keep getting error messages when trying to download things in iTunes. Getting "there was a problem downloading XYZ, disk could not be read from or written to" when trying to download iPhone software update and new podcasts. Adding files from Amazon mp3 downloader will sometimes not be successful but usually works when I try a second time. I've tried resetting the iTunes media folder & warnings/cache but no luck fixing the issue.

Any ideas?

Ask a Question