Malignant Pop Up

Reaction score
A few weeks go I started up my desktop iMac and a pop-up item appeared that stated that I had a problem with my software? and a number was provided that I was to call. I could not get the "Pop Up" off of the computer screen and thus I could not use the computer at all. The "pop-up" contained a "Safari" logo and was designed to suggest that the message was from Apple. I called the number and spoke to someone (who stated they were in Florida) who patiently worked with me to resolve the problem. By this time it became obvious that this individual was not an Apple representative, but I felt that his company was probably under contract with Apple to perform this type of work. When asked about their affiliation, I was never given an appropriate answer.
Soon, the technicians at this site took over my computer and I was told to not use it for the next few hours. They charged me $250 and stated a technician would call me when the analysis was complete and the computer repaired.
Needless to say, I did not receive a call and my computer is inoperable at this time.

Of great interest was the fact that the company provided a report titled "Webroot SecureAnywhere System Analyzer 7-25-15" and I printed a copy of same.

In summary, someone created a "Pop Up" that blocked my use of my computer. They then provided a number that I should call and charged me $250 to completely wipe out my ability to use my computer.

If there is anyone else who has fallen for this scam I would appreciate their comments.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I am so sorry to hear about your ordeal. I strongly suggest you change all of your computer passwords, including any used to login to websites or online services, and call all of your financial institutions to report this fraudulent scam. Because they took control of your computer, they had access to all of the information stored on it. This could lead to all kinds of identity theft and other implications.

I am not trying to totally scare you, but just want you to be safe after this intrusion. It may also be a good idea to visit an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider to have the computer checked out to ensure that all software they may have installed is removed properly, and that is is functioning normally.

More explanation forthcoming...good luck!

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I am so sorry to hear about your ordeal. I strongly suggest you change all of your computer passwords, including any used to login to websites or online services, and call all of your financial institutions to report this fraudulent scam. Because they took control of your computer, they had access to all of the information stored on it. This could lead to all kinds of identity theft and other implications.

I am not trying to totally scare you, but just want you to be safe after this intrusion. It may also be a good idea to visit an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider to have the computer checked out to ensure that all software they may have installed is removed properly, and that is is functioning normally.

More explanation forthcoming...good luck!

C[/QUOTE

Reaction score
Great suggestion. The irony is that I cannot be the first and only person affected by this activity. Who is going to address this type of problem as a CRIMINAL activity? I have written to the federal agency in charge of this issue and the likelihood of them doing something is remote.

Reaction score
Great suggestion. The irony is that I cannot be the first and only person affected by this activity. Who is going to address this type of problem as a CRIMINAL activity? I have written to the federal agency in charge of this issue and the likelihood of them doing something is remote.
Unfortunately we did the same. We have changed all passwords, etc. and have had no problems. However, the message keeps popping up and locking the computer. We haven't called a technician for help yet....we are older and feel so stupid for doing this. HELP?

Reaction score
Unfortunately we did the same. We have changed all passwords, etc. and have had no problems. However, the message keeps popping up and locking the computer. We haven't called a technician for help yet....we are older and feel so stupid for doing this. HELP?
Robi....they wanted the same $$ from us but luckily we didn't go that far.

Reaction score
If two of us have experienced this problem, there is probably a great deal more people who have fallen for the same scam. Does anyone in cyberspace have an idea how we can get this message to a larger audience. There is nothing I can do that will deter these people and there is nothing that the government will do unless we can show a much larger group of individuals who have been affected.

Ask a Question