Mail won't delete

Discussion in 'Mac Desktops' started by jockeyeba, Feb 7, 2018.

1. jockeyeba

jockeyeba New Member

Screenshot of problem, I deleted alot of emails, this keeps showing up, one after the other Help Screen Shot 2018-02-06 at 5.54.19 PM.png

jockeyeba, Feb 7, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. jockeyeba

honestone New Member

I wonder if that is an issue with your ISP, which seems to be AT&T. Comcast/Xfinity is my ISP, and I use Outlook 2016. I have never had an issue with my EMail program, including the deletion of EMails (and the permanent removal of deleted EMails). I do, though, use POP, instead of IMAP, but one would think that should not make a difference.

How long have you bene having this issue?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    honestone, Feb 7, 2018
    1. Advertisements

3. jockeyeba

jockeyeba New Member

Just happened yesterday when I was deleting about 800 emails. I shut the computer down last night & today it seems to be gone but only shows 200+ messages in the trash. I don't know if it happened because I tried to delete so many messages at once?

jockeyeba, Feb 7, 2018
  4. jockeyeba

honestone New Member

That does seem somewhat "strange" that it happened. Can you remove the messages in the trash?

Additionally, wonder if it was a one time "glitch" with AT&T?

Also, do you ever have deleted EMails permanently removed? I use Outlook 2016, and there is a simple procedure for doing that: when I select an EMail for deletion, it (of course) goes into the Trash folder. Then, when I right click on the Trash folder, one of the choices is "Empty Folder". Once I select that, I then get a dialogue, asking me if I want to confirm the Permanent deletion/removal of the EMails there. I select yes, and they are gone.

For Apple's Mail program, this link discusses this:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6143397

Permanent deletion/removal, of course, has the added benefit of saving disk space, which is always a good thing.

honestone, Feb 7, 2018
  5. jockeyeba

jockeyeba New Member

Yes I can & have removed deleted messages permanently. I deleted about 10 messages today & it did the same thing, kept putting up an email that was suppose to be deleting with that message (in the screenshot) but I clicked on each one that kept showing up & they were finally gone. I'm afraid to delete a large number at once again for fear the same mess will start again. I can't check new email while this is happening, it won't let me. :(

jockeyeba, Feb 8, 2018
  6. jockeyeba

honestone New Member

Sorry to hear that you are still having some issues. As I mentioned above, I use Outlook 2016 for my EMail needs. Maybe someone else with experience using Apple's Mail program can help you more.

honestone, Feb 8, 2018
  7. jockeyeba

jockeyeba New Member

Do I need to post this as new again? I just tried to delete several messages at the same time again & it's doing it to me again Screen Shot 2018-02-10 at 6.45.37 PM.png

jockeyeba, Feb 11, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question