Mail quitting immediately after launching

Reaction score
this has been happening for the past 3 days. My mail quits IMMEDIATELY when i launch it. This is the report i get when i try opening it:

Process: Mail [9862]
Path: /Applications/Mail.app/Contents/MacOS/Mail
Identifier: com.apple.mail
Version: ??? (???)
Build Info: Mail-9190000~3
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [66]

Date/Time: 2008-05-11 23:01:06.029 +0100
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.5.2 (9C7010)
Report Version: 6

Exception Type: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000
Crashed Thread: 0

Dyld Error Message:
Library not loaded: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/GraphicsAppSupport.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageKit.framework/Versions/A/ImageKit
Referenced from: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iLifeMediaBrowser.framework/Versions/A/iLifeMediaBrowser
Reason: image not found

I recently tried to re-install iphoto and just inserted the reboot disc and followed the steps. Has this damaged my applications? How do i fix this?

Reaction score
this has been happening for the past 3 days. My mail quits IMMEDIATELY when i launch it.

When an application quits upon launch, it is generally a sign of a corrupted preference. Before you trash your plist file, first try to run Disk Utility and repair permissions (Applications / Utilities / Disk Utility). After you do that, see if Mail launches. If it doesn't, you can try trashing Mail's plist file. Just go to your user Library / Preferences / com.apple.mail.plist. Just move it to the Desktop of your Mac. Don't trash it yet. Try to run Mail. If it works, it'll recreate a new plist file.

If these suggestions don't help, the problem could be something else.

When you re-installed iPhoto, did you make sure that was the only applicatoin you were re-installing? Also, is Mail in your Applications folder? I know these might be obvious questions, but I'm only trying to cover everything.

Reaction score
I just put the disc in and reinstalled. I dont know how to correct this! And yes, mail is in my applications folder. I deleted it after I realised I had reinstalled it incorrectly, then tried installing it individually. It still didnt work. So i deleted the plist, and tried moving mail to the desktop. no luck! What can i do? back everything up and wipe my system? :(

Reaction score
I just put the disc in and reinstalled. I dont know how to correct this! And yes, mail is in my applications folder. I deleted it after I realised I had reinstalled it incorrectly, then tried installing it individually. It still didnt work. So i deleted the plist, and tried moving mail to the desktop. no luck! What can i do? back everything up and wipe my system? :(
Hello,
Backing up everything and doing an "erase and install" of the OS should certainly do the trick. But first, did you do as Egidio suggested by repairing permissions?

Reaction score
hi there... randomly the same thing happens if i try to use photoshop or safari ... ive tried everything here... obviously with the matching things to these programs and i have even completely un installed photoshop then reinstalled it and it still doesnt work ... please help :( i really love my photoshop!

Reaction score
hi there... randomly the same thing happens if i try to use photoshop or safari ... ive tried everything here... obviously with the matching things to these programs and i have even completely un installed photoshop then reinstalled it and it still doesnt work ... please help :( i really love my photoshop!

Photoshop is one of those apps that is nearly impossible to uninstall. It places files and folders all over your Mac, some of them being invisible. It sounds like you might have inadvertently trashed some files that you shouldn't have. If you have a current backup of all of your valuable files (Pics,docs, tunes, etc.), I'd suggest starting from scratch and like I mentioned previously, doing an "Erase And Install" of the OS (Operating System).
You might want to check this out first.
http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/multipleappsquit.html

Ask a Question