Mail Issue

Reaction score
Using Mail (running Sierra) and the lower preview pane which showed the contents of the selected email has disappeared. I have tried clicking on the little black dot nothing happens but the cursor changes into the little line with upward pointing arrow. This, in the past allowed me to adjust the size of the pane displaying all the messages in the inbox. It only adjusted the size of the Mail window itself and now it doesn't even do that. I have tried many many different things through the mail menu bar etc but to no avail. It will not let me rebuild the mailbox. Was working perfectly up until three days ago.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

When the cursor changes to the horizontal line with the up arrow, click and hold and drag up quickly. That should reveal the message body. If you drag slowly, it doesn't work consistently.

To make sure that the rebuild function is working, choose Window > Activity from the menu bar and then choose a mailbox and Rebuild. You should then see information in the Activity windows as it downloads messages/rebuilds the mailbox.

Let us know if that works.

C

Reaction score
Hi Cory, thanks for your advice.
Did the cursor thingy and now have that bottom pane but it is blank. When I click on my most recent message it shows a message from 2013! Ditto for the second most recent message in the inbox.

I continued clicking on inbox messages for the previous five days and the pane is blank. However, when I reached the next one after that the pane behaved as it should and displayed the correct message content. After that more blank panes for message content and one more that worked properly. It seems to be acting rather randomly as another one has come to light
At least I can laugh about it.

The activity window is blank when I select Rebuild Mailbox.

Some minutes later and after clicking on various mailboxes......

Eureka! Success! It now seems to be working perfectly. So the rebuild must have worked.
Thank you so much.

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Excellent...glad it seems to be resolved.

Sometimes the rebuild can take a while to complete and for the local copy of it to update.

Let us know if you have additional issues.

C

Ask a Question