Mail Issue

Reaction score
I am experiencing an issue with my mail. I can’t delete anything, It gives me an error message that (email name) could not be moved to the mailbox “Trash — On My Mac” and “14307460.emlx” (or some other number.emix) couldn’t be copied to “Messages” because an item with the same name already exists. Additionally the whole system is extremely slow. Any ideas? jb

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

-Which version of OS X?
-Who is your email provider - Apple iCloud, Google Gmail, Microsoft Hotmail/MSN/Outlook, etc.?
-Do you have any third-party utilities such as MacKeeper/CleanMyMac installed?
-Do you have any antivirus app installed?

C

Reaction score
In addition to the excellent questions from Cory:

1. What Mac model are you using?
2. Have you been making backups to an external device?
3. Have you done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs?
4. How much free space is on your internal drive?

Reaction score
I am experiencing an issue with my mail. I can’t delete anything, It gives me an error message that (email name) could not be moved to the mailbox “Trash — On My Mac” and “14307460.emlx” (or some other number.emix) couldn’t be copied to “Messages” because an item with the same name already exists. Additionally the whole system is extremely slow. Any ideas? jb
In addition to the excellent questions from Cory:

1. What Mac model are you using?
2. Have you been making backups to an external device?
3. Have you done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs?
4. How much free space is on your internal drive?
OS x 10.11.6 on an iMac early 2009. with 4 GB. I've run both Disk Cleanup Pro and Secure. the problem with an inability to delete was solved by running rebuild on Trash but the response on the system is still very slow. I back up using Carbonite. 216 of 320 GB is free.

Reaction score
Thanks for that information. It appears that Disk Cleanup Pro does the same tasks as the excellent freeware program Onyx does. But, Onyx can also Repair Permissions, which could help.

I don't know what Secure is. Also, how did you rebuild the trash? I've never heard of that, nor have never needed to do that.

That's good you are using Carbonite. And, it sounds like you have a lot of free space.

What is needed (or would help) is the Verify and Repair your internal drive in an "external" fashion. It appears that Carbonite is not bootable. So, in your case, you will need to boot to the (hidden) Recovery HD partition, and run Disk Utility from there to Verify and Repair your internal drive, both at the Volume (ie, top) and Partition (ie, secondary) levels. To get to that Recovery HD partition, you would need to boot (or re-boot) your machine by holding down the Command and R keys. This link explains that partition:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

Just be aware that if something goes wrong, you'll need to restore your "stuff" from the Carbonite backup.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Carbonite has been known to slow Macs down when syncing. You could try pausing the syncing, and see if things speed back up for you.

C

Ask a Question