Apple MAIL issues....

Reaction score
Can someone help me figure out where my MAIL settings have gone wrong? I have 2 MAC's in my office....both use MAC's use the MAIL app. Workstation 2 is working fine. However, Workstation 1 is having issues.

I just sent 2 e-mails to myself and WS 2 received them fine, but WS 1 labored to send it and launched an "error message" see screen shot #8. I think one of my settings in ACCOUNTS or Preferances have been altered. Since I have been having issues with this I duplicated my setting on WS2 to see if I could eleviate this. Can someone look at my screen shots below and see if something looks wrong?

OS 10.11.6
ISP..... Comcast/Xfinity

Thank you for your time!
Reesche

Attachments

• 2 Accounts 1.png
    2 Accounts 1.png
    58.4 KB · Views: 395
  • 3 Accounts 2 Advanced.png
    3 Accounts 2 Advanced.png
    63 KB · Views: 434
  • 4 Pref-Accounts.png
    4 Pref-Accounts.png
    64.9 KB · Views: 373
  • 1 Mail Issue.png
    1 Mail Issue.png
    56.3 KB · Views: 429
  • 5 SMTP Advanced.png
    5 SMTP Advanced.png
    58.5 KB · Views: 324
  • 5 SMTP Macro.png
    5 SMTP Macro.png
    61.3 KB · Views: 344
  • 6 Mailbox Behaviors.png
    6 Mailbox Behaviors.png
    80.8 KB · Views: 371
  • 7 Advanced.png
    7 Advanced.png
    70.4 KB · Views: 412
  • 8 Error Message sending e-mail.png
    8 Error Message sending e-mail.png
    91.4 KB · Views: 391
Reaction score
I just tried deleting my OLD Mail account to try to create a NEW Mail account and it said that "This account already exists".....and it would not let me sign in to Comcast with my current password. All options were grayed out except "Cancel. See attached. Now, the only account I have is iCloud. I just wanted to add a fresh new mail account.

Why will it not let me create a new Mail Account with my old information?

I need to get in with a new Mail Account to make other adjustments in my setting as origionally stated in my 1st posting.

Let me know.

Reesche

Attachments

• New Mail Account (not letting me in).png
    New Mail Account (not letting me in).png
    77.7 KB · Views: 423

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

-Did you try restarting your Mac after deleting the account in Internet Accounts?
-If you open the Mail app, does the account still show as active?

C

Reaction score
Hi Cory....thank you for your response!

Ok, I think we'll need to look at this a little different now. System Preferences.... Internet Accounts..... will not let me create a "Mail Account" now. I filled it in as my e-mail address and my Comcast password. "This account already exists" Until I get this fixed I will not be able to access my MAIL preferences.

Here is a thought... All of my changes have happened in the last couple of days. What about going back till Wednesday (when everything was working) and using my TIME MACHINE back up to reinstall the preferences/ settings files for the INTERNET ACCOUNT and MAIL and get this back to where I was on Wednesday?

I have given you some current screen shots below to explain....

Questions:

1. What files in the Library or System would I need to reinstall to get my information back in both the INTERNET ACCOUNTS and MAIL preferences?
2. System Preferences...... Internet Accounts
3. Comcast MAIL ACCOUNT
5. Should be a Comcast IMAP or SMTP Outgoing Server
7. How do you know what PORT to fill in here?

My frustration here is that Comcast/Xfinity will NOT give Technical Support to 3rd party Mail Clients (MAC MAIL) Only their MAIL client.! So I'm kinda hosed up here on this work station using MAIL.

Any thought where those preferences/settings would be? If I knew what files to pull from my Time Machine Back Up maybe I could reinstall them and get back to where I was the last Wednesday... then go on from there.

I appreciate you help!

Reesche

Attachments

• 1 HD Info.jpg
    1 HD Info.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 308
  • 2 System Preferances 1.png
    2 System Preferances 1.png
    99.7 KB · Views: 317
  • 3 Mail Account 1.png
    3 Mail Account 1.png
    60.6 KB · Views: 379
  • 4 Add Mail Account?.png
    4 Add Mail Account?.png
    63.5 KB · Views: 443
  • 5 Mail Accounts 1.jpg
    5 Mail Accounts 1.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 411
  • 6 Outgoing Mail Server.png
    6 Outgoing Mail Server.png
    63.2 KB · Views: 385
  • 7 Outgoing Mail Server ADVANCED.png
    7 Outgoing Mail Server ADVANCED.png
    63.1 KB · Views: 426

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Before restoring anything from Time Machine, try changing the outgoing mail server for iCloud to iCloud, then delete (minus - button) all the references to the Comcast account in the Mail app preferences you gave screenshots for: 6 Outgoing Mail Server and 7 Outgoing Mail Server Advanced. Then, quit the Mail app, restart your Mac, and try to add the Comcast account again in Internet Accounts.

C

Reaction score
Hello again Cory......I did what you said..... deleated all Comcast info and restarted.....tried to add the Comcast info to "Add a Mail account and the same message appears....."This account already exists and gave me NO options other that Cancel. Screen shots to show you what I did.

Reesche

Attachments

• 2 System Preferances 1.png
    2 System Preferances 1.png
    99.7 KB · Views: 349
  • 3 Mail Account 1.png
    3 Mail Account 1.png
    60.6 KB · Views: 390
  • 4 Add Mail Account?.png
    4 Add Mail Account?.png
    63.5 KB · Views: 378

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK...

It still thinks that account is present for some reason.

What about your iCloud account - do you use email with it? If not, you could click on it and disable Mail. Then, launch Mail, which should give you the setup prompt, since no accounts will be setup in Mail.

It may be better to visit an Apple Store if you have one near you. It might be much easier to diagnose and fix in person...not that we're giving up... ;)

C

Reaction score
Well Cory...... Apple Store??? More $$$ and time dished out by me via Mac OS ??? I guess there is NO solution here.

Thank you Comcast/Xfinity?!?!$$$ We tried, but what about all the OTHER people (Older folks that do not understand ANY of this) ? They do not understand the DOS like commands that their ISP and others demand!

We all wanted MAC MAIL to keep going but the ISP's decided that MAIL doesn't matter any more?

WHY didn't Apple keep up with current standard with MAC MAIL????

Comcast/Infinity:
I was told that "We do NOT support 3rd party Mail Clients" ?!?!!!!

Cory..... I want to thank you for alll of your thoughts on this. Sorry I am mad.

I guess the EASIEST direction for me is to give up MAC MAIL on this work station and give into Comcast/Xfinity's current MAIL system.

Question Xfinity? What happens if the power goes out with an Ice Storm or a Wind Storm in our area lately (Pacific Northwest 2006 - 20018)....Xfinity/Comcast??? Thank you for your patronage !?!?!?$$$

Reesche

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries. I totally understand your frustration.

Having supported Mac users for 25 years or so, I know how difficult it can be to deal with non-Mac friendly companies, especially when it comes to email. ISPs are notorious for changing things with their mail servers and causing these types of issues.

The Apple Store was only a suggestion, because issues like this can usually be solved fairly quickly in person, as it is much easier to see what is going on and what any provided suggestions/solutions help or don't. Apple doesn't charge for software support, so it would really only cost the hassle of bringing the Mac in for an appointment. I totally get how inconvenient that would be, especially with an office computer that is used on a daily basis. As I stated previously, we're not giving up...it was just a suggestion to possibly get the issue resolved quicker.

Did you look into the iCloud mail suggestion above? Also, there are other things we can do to reset the Mail app, but they are more intrusive, and we're trying to avoid them so that you don't lose any information.

Hang in there, we'll keep at it.

C

Reaction score
Thanks for understanding Cory!

I have spent a lot of time in the last several days trying to fix this....

Reesche

Ask a Question