Mail and animated avatar attachments.

Reaction score
OS Mac OS X version 10.4.7 Mail version 2.1

I have 5 email accounts in Mail. It has taken me some time to set them up so that I each has the same information and I have tested them by cross posting to each in turn to check that they can send and receive. So far so good.

I then added animated avatars to each post. 2 of the accounts send and receive the animations fine and the other 3 accounts receive animations from them too. But these 3 accounts cannot send animated avatars to each other or to the 1st 2 accounts.

I have checked all the details and the only difference that I can see is that when I check the posts from the 3 none working accounts:

view>message>
Plain Text Alternative and Prevous Alternative are grey.

I have looked through all of the preference windows etc. but cannot find out how to activate Plain Text Alternative and Prevous Alternative for those 3 accounts.

I have spent 2 days trying to solve the problem and would really appreciate any advice. I hope that my explanation makes sense.

Cheers

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

by all means send me an email from each account...then I can let you know which ones definitely work !

Sometimes sending to yourself...for some reason...can sometimes go a bit funny !

Regards

Ric

Reaction score
Thank you Ric for the quick reply and welcome. Sorry I didn't get
back sooner.

I have just checked my ISP site for the stored messages. ALL
of the avatars are animated there but the 3 offending account's
email avatars are shown as attachments. Is that a clue?

I will send you an avatar from each account as suggested.

Cheers

P

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have received three emails...none of the animations were visible in Mail, however if I did a save as...then dragged the animation into Safari, I could see it.

From what I can find out, the way Mail.app handles GIF animations has apparently been broken in one of the Tiger updates...

Can you send me one from one of the 'working' email accounts then I can compare the code ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hello again,

An avatar from one of the 'working' accounts is on it's way.

Cheers,

P

Ric

Reaction score
I'll have a look once I receive it...

I know my niece has an animated gif in her mail message that she sends to me and that works...not sure if that was before they updated to Tiger though !

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Just in case anyone has been following this thread and
would like to know the outcome.

With Ric's help and much to and froing of posts it became
obvious that the avatars only became animated in emails
sent from accounts that included a signature. If the
signature was removed, the avatar became a still again.

I have no idea why this should happen, just happy to know
what to do to solve the problem.

P

Ask a Question