MacUpdate.com No Longer "Trust Worthy"

Reaction score
I have been relying on www.macupdate.com (and before that, www.versiontracker.com) a long, long time for getting updates to the Mac software I use, and especially third party apps like Onyx, SuperDuper!, Quicken, TechTool Pro, Office 2011, etc. Up until recently, that had been working fine. In fact, that site was extremely helpful for me to get the updates I needed for my third party apps so that I could upgrade to El Capitan, OS 10.11.1.

Recently, though, that site has become somewhat "rogue", in the sense that when one downloads a file from their site, one now needs to go through a MacUpdate Installer first before one can install the actual update. This installer contains some unacceptable "pieces" (like a little noticed (checked) option for using yahoo.com). Here is a post on yesterday's www.macworld.com site that details this (plus other possible "rogue" sites):

http://www.macworld.com/article/300...ad-software-from-software-download-sites.html

This morning there was an update for Onyx listed on MacUpdate, but I went directly to the developer instead to get it. I am going to continue to follow the advice in that macworld article.

Yes, I know one can just select "Check for Updates" within an application, but if there is an update available, that process updates the application for you, but does not download the actual update. I much prefer to have that update file, in case I need to do a re-installation of the application.

Previously, someone (Cory?) had posted information about a site one could go to for obtaining updates to software. I would appreciate getting that information again.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
I use MacUpdate for pretty much all of my third-party updates. I have never had an issue with them. I DO NOT use MacUpdate's Install Now feature, but rather the Download button. I like to instal my updates manually myself, rather than rely on having a third-party installer take control of my machine. I used VersionTracker for years, but it was sold and became CNET Download.com, which has had some issue with their downloadable updaters.

Of course, my Applications folder has been weeded out greatly over the years, from several hundred applications, down to the less than 100 that I use regularly today. I used to have pretty much every popular app installed, so that I could test them out with new versions of OS X, and to diagnose issues others were having on support forums like this. I do still have a secondary Mac that I use as a test machine for that purpose, and will only install software that I use daily/weekly on my main Mac.

As you stated, most modern day applications have a built-in updater, or are automatically updated via the Apple App Store. So, there just aren't the many that require a manual download from MacUpdate. I mainly use it to see when new updates are available...more as a reference. But, I wouldn't hesitate to download an update from them in the future.

Hope that helps.

C

Reaction score
Thanks for the informative reply, Cory.

Unfortunately, due to a "new" feature, when one clicks the Download button, one now gets the MacUpdate Installer, whether one likes it or not. (I re-verified that just a few minutes ago by downloading the new version of Onyx (V 3.1.2) from MacUpdate). I don't like that at all, as it adds another layer of complexity to the process. Wish they believed in the KISS philosophy: Keep It Simple Stupid.

If you notice, the Macworld article talks about this also, and their advice about going directly to the developer's site and downloading the update is the best. That is what I am going to do from now on (I did it for Onyx earlier today, and the same for the new version of AppCleaner).

My point about using the "Check for Updates..." feature in an application is that yes, it will update the app to the latest version, but one does not get the actual updater file. That is what I much prefer, and getting that first allows me to install it how and when I want. Also, it is useful for recovery. I have two separate folders on my internal drive (contained within the Documents folder), for both of my machines, entitled "Upgrades" and "Useful Software". The upgrades one is primarily for OS versions/upgrades, and TechTool Pro upgrades. The other one contains original files/updaters for all my other third party software. It keeps my stuff organized by doing that.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
That's strange, as that doesn't happen on my MBP running Safari 9.0.1 under El Capitan 10.11.1. I just clicked the download button for the OnyX 3.1.2 update and it went to another screen, paused for three secs, then downloaded OnyX Installer.dmg. Are you signed into MacUpdate as a member?

I also have a folder on an external where I keep all the updaters/installers.

C

Reaction score
It should not make a difference which machine one uses, nor which browser. But, let me try it again, and I'll report back.

BTW, I am not a MacUpdate member, and thus should not get the installer.

Reaction score
Got the exact same thing no matter which browser I use: latest versions of Firefox (42.0), Google Chrome, and Safari (9.0.1). All of them downloaded a file entitled "Onyx.Installer.dmg" to my users/username/downloads folder. When I double click that file, it "expands", and the next screen I see has an icon in the middle for the MacUpdate Installer, and right under the icon it says "Double click the icon so start the installation". (Got the same thing when I downloaded the 3.1.1 update for AppCleaner from MacUpdate. Fortunately, I already downloaded the "correct" update file from the developer's site).

Could it be because I am now using El Capitan, V10.11.1?

Note this quote from that MacWorld link I provided above:

"But the experience last week of a user noticing that a download of Skype from MacUpdate was wrapped in an installer that contained adware and trialware reminds me to run the flag up the pole again to remind folks who weren’t aware—and to ask all of you who understand the issue to help your friends, colleagues, and family avoid these risks."

That is what I experienced.

Additionally, I have sent two "letters" to MacUpdate, via their Contact link, about this very issue, but of course I have yet to see a reply.

In any event, going forward, I will still visit MacUpdate to see about any further updates for the applications I use, but will not download any from there. For Apple "genuine" software, though, it does take you to the App Store. However, for any further OS updates, that is, any incremental or Combo updater, that will not be the case. For the Combo Updater, though, I always do a google search, and always get a "hit" that brings to an apple site, so that I can download it. IN fact, OS 10.11.2 just had its third beta release today, and once it is out of beta testing and made available, that is how I will get the OS 10.11.2 Combo Updater.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Cory,

Double click that installer file you downloaded, and I'll bet you will get the same thing as I did.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Ahhh, there we go. I stand corrected. I double-clicked the OnyX Installer.dmg and it IS the MacUpdate installer. That's a BIG problem. I also tried it on an old Snow Leopard Mac and got the same file/result.

I am not happy about this at all. That's actually false advertising. I haven't found anywhere on their site that mentions this. In addition, there is another story on the Malwarebytes site: Has MacUpdate fallen to the adware plague?

It mentions this:

"Update (Nov. 3, 2015): It turns out that this is now a “feature” of MacUpdate. If you are a paid member of MacUpdate and are logged in, you won’t see the adware installers. If you are not logged in, you will see them. This is evidently configurable in the profile preferences on a paid MacUpdate account, though not having such an account, I can’t provide specifics."

I guess they are forcing people to have a paid membership to MacUpdate. Now, I will only use that site as a reference, as I mentioned previously.

Thanks for the heads-up,

C

Reaction score
You're welcome, Cory. It sure is disappointing that a long standing, previously trusted Mac site has gone to the pits, so to speak.

Reaction score
By the way, I did get replies (actually the same one) from MacUpdate to my "inquiry/complaint", Here is one of them:

"This is a new way we're approaching a very small percentage of the apps we list by adding special offers to the downloads. This process is still in its testing phases and is subject to change. Anything that is added when downloading an app is offered in a way that you can clearly opt out and not accept them if you do not want them.

If you're a paid member at MacUpdate, you can go to the Preferences tab of your profile and deselect the "Show Banner Ads," then click "Apply All Changes." This will turn off the banner ads that are on our website, as well as the special offers that appear in a few of our downloads. The download links only show you special offers and nothing is installed without your permission. You're able to decline the offers if you do not wish to have them.

Even if you're a freemium member of MacUpdate Desktop, you can perform unlimited one-click installs, which eliminates the special offers. You also have the ability to do 5 app updates per month included in the freemium membership. If you're not a member of MacUpdate Desktop you can learn more about it and become one here: http://www.macupdate.com/desktop

If you would like to read more about our new download process that we're currently testing you can do that here: http://support.macupdate.com/knowledgebase/macupdate-making-easier-download-install-apps-mac/

Thank you for the feedback as it helps us out a lot and please let us know if you have any further questions.

Cheers,

Joel Lockard
Content/Support
MacUpdate"

Note that it says "we're approaching a very small percentage of the apps". So far, it's 2 for 2 for me, regarding getting this crap from them. Today, though, there was a new version of the Chrome browser (the one I primarily use) on that site. But, Chrome automatically updated itself to the new version. Regarding the actual file itself, I did a google search, and was able to download the new version myself.

Ask a Question