Punctured a hole in my computer screen. How damaging is this?

Reaction score
As the title said, I punctured a hole in my MacBook Pro computer screen, but not the screen itself, just the metal-like portion that has the words "MacBook Pro" printed on it. I believe it was caused by closing my computer on my laptop charger, the hole is about the size of the tip of the charger maybe a little wider.

I can see some metal parts through the hole but it doesn't look like it's really damaging the computer, it mostly seems like a cosmetic problem. The screen itself is completely unaffected. I was wondering, would this be okay to leave? Or do I need to get it fixed immediately? I was also considering putting some electrical tape over the hole to prevent any debris from getting in. Any thoughts or advice is welcomed!

I have a MacBook Pro '15 with the Touch Bar.

Reaction score
One would think you are OK. But putting electrical tape over the hole is a good idea.

Reaction score
Do you have a photo of the damage?

If there are no problems as yet, I would agree a bit of tape over the hole will help to protect it.

Ask a Question