Help - Wiped hard drive loophole.

Reaction score
I fell into a strange loophole I can't seem to find a way out of.

I have a Macbook pro, mid 2010. As I plan to sell it I wiped the hard drive. I had never upgraded the operating system from Lion, and never bought it in App store as it came pre-installed on my computer.

Now when I start the computer, I start from Recovery Disk. I choose to re-install the operating system and my Apple Account gets checked for purchased Lion. After a notification that my account had not bought Lion, I went and bought Mountain Lion thinking that it would be recognized as an acceptable operating system and install it. Unfortunately only Lion seems acceptable and all I get is a notification that my account is not valid.

*Lion is not available for purchase any longer.

I also tried writing the package on a DVD and booting from DVD but it won't show up when I restart and hold down the command key. Nor can I find away to force the disk image to run from Disk Utility from the Recovery Disk setting.

Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated! Totally stuck here :/

Ask a Question