Machine Heats Up

Reaction score
MacBook Pro gets very hot when I am running games. Fan cuts-in every ten minutes or more often. Is this a serious problem? Is there anything I can adjust for running games?
Thanks!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
What model MacBook Pro?

I would consider it normal. Most Macs get very warm during heavy use. The fans kick on a lot when gaming or viewing streaming video. The warmth is normal due to the design of the aluminum case being used as a heatsink to vent off extra heat. They have been designed to monitor temperature and engage the fans to cool the unit during heavy processing loads. They will power off if the temperature gets too high. Has your MBP shut down/powered off on you at all?

Reaction score
It's normally the GPU and games put this under a huge load, D3 makes my 15" MacBook Pro sound like a jet.

Ensure the laptop is on a flat surface, and there are no obstructions to air flow. Make sure nothing is over the keyboard as it breaths out through there. Also the MacBooks use there shells as heat sinks, they are meant to heat up to get the heat away from the inside. Don't try to limit the heat getting away.

Reaction score
I am relieved! No, my Mac has not shut down. That was my biggest worry--that one day it would suddenly burst into flames. I did download a thermostat program that showed a jump from around 24 to 62 when the game was running, and that's when I began to panic!

I feel much better, now, and I thank you for your insight.

Ask a Question