MacBook's hard drive 'retrieval'

Reaction score
My MacBook has 'died' [not booting up - gets part way and then powers off] and so its brain is seemingly inaccessible. I've ordered a replacement MacBook Air and I would like to transfer the hard drive contents from the old device, but how? Any advice will be gratefully received.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
If the MB has truly given up the ghost & you are not going to attempt to revive it then probably ifixit.com would be the starting point to find a tutorial on how to remove the hard drive.

Once removed you would need a powered External Hard Drive enclosure suitable for hooking up with the MB Air although I'm not sure about the connectivity options of the MB AIr, whether it can connect to an ext HD via cable or not? You would need to check the ports on the MB Air for this.

Reaction score
If the MB has truly given up the ghost & you are not going to attempt to revive it then probably ifixit.com would be the starting point to find a tutorial on how to remove the hard drive.

Once removed you would need a powered External Hard Drive enclosure suitable for hooking up with the MB Air although I'm not sure about the connectivity options of the MB AIr, whether it can connect to an ext HD via cable or not? You would need to check the ports on the MB Air for this.

Thank you for your advice. I've ordered the MB Air 'on line' and I'll give the problem further consideration when I receive the device.

Reaction score

I have a mid 2013 13" MacBook Air, and it has 2 USB 3.0 ports on it. And even the newer Airs have 2 USB 3.0 ports. So, one would just need to purchase an external enclosure that has a USB cable with it. I would personally recommend an Orico enclosure:

https://www.amazon.com/ORICO-USB3-0...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=16W43DG5ES1E1Z7DJP16

I have two of those, and each of them contain a Samsung 850 Pro 512 gig SSD. They are very light, and it comes with a USB 3.0 cable. They work fine.

Ask a Question