MacBook Pro won't charge

Reaction score
My MacBook Pro won't charge when plugged into the wall charger. The light on the power cord flashes green/orange, it's a very faint light, not like the usual light when it's charging properly. I can't turn on the computer at all, with or without the cord, and have done the SMC reset several time, using different power cords.

Should I unplug it and wait and try the SMC again, or keep it plugged in to see if it starts charging? Any other suggestions?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
What model MacBook Pro is it?

Green/orange alternating flashes of the MagSafe connector can mean a few things.

-Is it an alternating G/O/G/O/G/O/G?
-Are there multiples flashes of the colors - i.e. G/G/G/G/G/O/O/O/O/O/G/G/G/G/G/G?
-Has anything ever been spilled on the unit to your knowledge?
-Is the MagSafe connector clean, have a staple stuck to it, have burn spots on it?

Here are the possibilities in order of cost/severity:

1. MagSafe adapter replacement (you have already done this with other adapters - hopefully both were 85W, not 60W)
2. Battery replacement
3. DC-In or IO/DC/MagSafe board - depending on your model
4. Logic board

Because of the nature of the issue, I definitely recommend taking it to a Genius Bar/Apple Authorized Service Center for diagnosis.

C

Reaction score
My MacBook Pro won't charge when plugged into the wall charger. The light on the power cord flashes green/orange, it's a very faint light, not like the usual light when it's charging properly. I can't turn on the computer at all, with or without the cord, and have done the SMC reset several time, using different power cords.

Should I unplug it and wait and try the SMC again, or keep it plugged in to see if it starts charging? Any other suggestions?
What model MacBook Pro is it?

Green/orange alternating flashes of the MagSafe connector can mean a few things.

-Is it an alternating G/O/G/O/G/O/G?
-Are there multiples flashes of the colors - i.e. G/G/G/G/G/O/O/O/O/O/G/G/G/G/G/G?
-Has anything ever been spilled on the unit to your knowledge?
-Is the MagSafe connector clean, have a staple stuck to it, have burn spots on it?

Here are the possibilities in order of cost/severity:

1. MagSafe adapter replacement (you have already done this with other adapters - hopefully both were 85W, not 60W)
2. Battery replacement
3. DC-In or IO/DC/MagSafe board - depending on your model
4. Logic board

Because of the nature of the issue, I definitely recommend taking it to a Genius Bar/Apple Authorized Service Center for diagnosis.

C
Alternating g/o/g/o/g/o/g/o, no multiple flashes of colors. Nothing has been spilled and it was working great before I tried that last charge. It was at 40% or maybe a little less when I plugged it in. The connector looks clean and in good shape.

This laptop is only 8 months old, so I'm not inclined to believe that it's the battery. Although I guess it could be.

Reaction score
if you are using different chords and still using the same wall adapter then it could be that or if not try using a different wall outlet.
still if not then it will be a fault with the actual mac and you should take it in asap

Reaction score
I agree...and let us know what they find.

Cheers,

C
Involve
I agree...and let us know what they find.

Cheers,

C
After a visit to Apple Store, problem was not the charger, or with anything I did. They took it in the back and did a reset, something that I tried without removing the battery. Their reset was different than the one I was advised to do in different forums. All is well, laptop is happy again!!

Reaction score
Great - Yes they have special knowledge and tools.

Make a note of the time and store you took it to, if there is another problem you may want to let them know it's been in for this.

I would also purchase extended AppleCare, ASAP.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
I guess it depends on the exact model MacBook Pro you have as to what "secret" reset they did in the back.

Glad it's sorted,

C

Ask a Question