Macbook Pro- Total AV or CleanMyMac X

Reaction score
Hi, I am looking for a good app to get rid of junk on my Macbook Pro. Any suggestions?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which model Mac?
-Which version of OS X/macOS?
-How much free space is left?
-What kinds of things are you looking to remove?

I am not a fan of third-party applications of that type, as some can cause more problems than they are worth.

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which model Mac?

I am not a fan of third-party applications of that type, as some can cause more problems than they are worth.

C

Reaction score
Thanks for responding. It's a MacBook Pro, I've got a lot of space left. I'm using Catalina OS. I hope I didn't make a mistake by downloading the it. I did it because I had a lot of junk on my computer that I wanted to easily remove.

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which model Mac?

C
I'm sorry, I'm new to this forum. I hope I'm not answering you twice. I have a MacBook Pro, Catalina. I have plenty of storage. I just wanted to have a quick way to remove junk from my computer. I hope I didn't make a mistake getting this. Do you know if there have been any reported problems with CleanMyMac or Gemini 2, which comes with it?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

You did fine responding. ;)

CleanMyMac does get good reviews, and is recommended by several reputable Mac-centric websites. I don't know much about Gemini 2 though. Just make sure you read any documentation/help before/when using them.

MacKeeper is definitely one to stay away from.

I personally don't use utilities like this, but I have been working in the computer industry for almost 30 years, so I have a lot of experience with manually maintaining Mac hardware and software. ;)

C

Reaction score
Onyx is another excellent, well-established program. You can get the Catalina version from here:

I've been using for many, many years, and it has yet to fail me. I also use a commercial product, Tech Tool Pro, for more extensive cleaning/maintenance/repair tasks.

And of course you should do as much disk cleanup on your own as possible. Unfortunately, most folks do not do that. One area is deleted EMails. When an EMail is deleted, it is not removed from your machine. Usually an additional step is necessary. What that step is depends on the EMail program you are using. I use Thunderbird, and it iq quite easy to have deleted EMails permanently removed. In fact, I use it numerosu times each day.

Reaction score
One more very important thing: make sure you are backing up your machine, preferably to an external device, before using any such program. Are you making frequent backups? Hopefully you are, and if so, what program do you use for that task? There is, of course, Time Machine, but SuperDuper! and Carbon Copy Cloner are two other excellent ones.

Reaction score
Hi,

You did fine responding. ;)

CleanMyMac does get good reviews, and is recommended by several reputable Mac-centric websites. I don't know much about Gemini 2 though. Just make sure you read any documentation/help before/when using them.

MacKeeper is definitely one to stay away from.

I personally don't use utilities like this, but I have been working in the computer industry for almost 30 years, so I have a lot of experience with manually maintaining Mac hardware and software. ;)

C
I purchased Clean my Mac - I also had Total AV but i suspect I don't need both ?

Reaction score
I subscribed to Total AV in 2018 and then downloaded Clean my Mac. Now Total Av are trying to keep the account . I do not see why need both.

Ask a Question