MacBook Pro to Samsung TV audio issue

Reaction score
Hi guys -
I am streaming video from a circa 2010 13" MacBook Pro running OS 10.11.6 to my Samsung HD tv. I have connected from the mini video port through an HDMI adapter and cable to a HDMI port on the tv. The problem I'm having is that the tv is not always available in the speaker options list in System Preferences. If it's not there, I have to restart the computer, sometimes 2 or 3 times. Is there something that I can do so the tv speakers are always available?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which model Samsung?
-Which brand/model HDMI adapter and HDMI cable?

Also, I do remember something about some 2010 and all earlier MBPs not supporting audio via the Mini DisplayPort and folks having to use a separate audio cable. I will see if I can dig that information up.

C

Reaction score
Cory
Thanks for the response. I tried a cable between the headphone jack and rca audio inputs on the tv. Didn't work. Subsequently, I updated my OS to Sierra. Although still not perfect, my audio signal now seems to get to the tv through the mini display port much more consistently. Still have to restart occasionally. Thanks, Mark

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries...glad it is working. You may have to turn the volume on the Mac all the way to get a good level into the TV.

C

Ask a Question