MacBook Pro not letting me open up 2 windows at a time

Reaction score
OS Mojave

I open up my hard drive and TRY to open up my pin-drive so I can select items to transfer to my HD.... and it only let's me open ONE window at a time. Why?

Can you tell me if this is fixable?

Thanks for your time!

Reesche

Reaction score
That's an odd one. After you've opened your hard drive, how do you then try and open the pin drive? By clicking on the pin drive icon in the Finder Sidebar of the hard drive window, or by double clicking on the pin drive icon on the Desktop?

Reaction score
I boot up the MacBook Pro first...... Insert the PinDrive..... Open the window that I want on the MBP...... then double click on the PinDrive to open it and the MBP window is gone and the PinDrive window is there but not both. I tried adding "Option" and still the same result.

Reesche

Reaction score
What ever window is open is the window that it changes to.

EX: If I double click on my (1) HD it comes up, Then I double click on the pin drive or any other folder within my HD, changes are always made within the (1) open window.

Here are a few screen shots to explain...

Attachments

• 1 send.jpg
    1 send.jpg
    356.5 KB · Views: 73
  • 2 Send.jpg
    2 Send.jpg
    341.2 KB · Views: 73
  • 3 Send.jpg
    3 Send.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 4 Send.jpg
    4 Send.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 72
  • 5 Send.jpg
    5 Send.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 78
Reaction score
Yes, if you do it the way that you have in the first and second screenshot: ie you click on something in the window Sidebar, then a second window doesn't open. You can open in a second Tab within the window by holding down the Cmd key as you click.

However, try this. Double click on the hard drive icon at the top right corner of the Desktop. Then double click on San Disk icon on the Desktop, not in the Sidebar, that should open the San Disk in a separate window.

Merry Christmas to you too.

Reaction score
I just tried both of these suggestions and it did the same thing.... not opening up another Tab. Is TAB actually what we are talking about not Window?

I have been working on MACS for probably 30 years and I have to believe that this issue is a "preference" or System setting.... can we approach this as that? Perhaps, you could ask some of your associates some questions concerning this? Thank you Gem! What's for dinner? Reesche

Reaction score
Hey Gem... I just tried something.

I first opened the HD1 and opened a second folder while holding down the "command" key and it opened up a 2nd window. Then I inserted the pindrive and held down the "command" key and it's content opened up in the 2nd window, deleting the other information in the 2nd window. You have to open a second window on the HD before you can use the 2nd window??? Reesche

Ask a Question