Macbook Pro mid 2012 T Y U I O keys work intermittently

Reaction score
My Macbook Pro keyboard works fine EXCEPT that the t, y, u, i, and o keys will stop working. I will have to hold them down for a while or repeatedly hit them to get them to work. Interestingly, once one starts to work the others will too.; however, after the computer sits unused for a while they will again become unresponsive.
-no liquid spillage has occurred;
-I tried cleaning under the keys to no avail
Any suggestions as to what is going on, and a fix? I would rather not have to replace the keyboard. I know I could use an external keyboard, just don't want to if I can avoid it. By the way, the keys worked perfectly while doing this post but will be back to their behavior soon enough. Thanks in advance.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Unfortunately, it does sound like either liquid damage or a hardware failure issue. Sometimes the T key starts to fail, which is linked to the other keys in the circuit of the keyboard. Connecting an external keyboard to test is a good idea while using the Keyboard Viewer function.

It could also be that Mouse Keys are enabled.

Hope that helps,

C

Ask a Question