SOLVED MacBook Pro Early 2011 runs hot

Reaction score
Hi,

My MacBook Pro runs very hot under certain circumstances.
When I am reading online newspapers the temperature slowly rices from 48℃/104℉ to around 75℃/165℉.
Taking part in a Zoom meeting the temp goes quickly up to around 80℃/176℉
Minimizing the zoom window and having another application window open reduces the temp a little.
The same with video editing software, the temp rices quickly to around 80℃/176℉.

Around 2015/2016 I had a GPU/logic board replacement.

I also have TG Pro installed so I can monitor and manually increase the fan speed when needed.

The battery is at its end of life according to the battery indicator.

Any thoughts about what might be wrong?

Modell name: MacBook Pro Early 2011
Processor name: Intel Core i7
Processor speed: 2,2 GHz
Processors: 1
Cores: 4
Level 2-buffer (per kjerne): 256 kB
Level 3-buffer: 6 MB
Memory: 16 GB

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Those temperature fluctuations sound perfectly normal to me, especially on a MacBook Pro versus an iMac. Video will always increase temps and fan speed on every computer, as it is a resource-hungry process. Some websites will also cause the rise, as they have underlying elements embedded for Flash, animations, ads, video, etc. New websites are notorious for this.

If the battery reports Needs Service, or had a lot of cycles on it, it can cause the temps/fans to rise as well, since the system is struggling a bit to charge it.

As long as the MBP doesn't power off due to temperature, which it will by design, it is working normally. There also may be some dust built up in the fans and vents, which can cause it to run hot too. And, don't use the MBP on a soft surface like a blanket, pillow, couch, as that can partially/fully block the vents and cause a spike in heat and fan RPM.

Hope that helps,

C

Reaction score
OK, thanks,

The MBP behaves normally otherwise.
Last year I changed the thermal compound and the average temp sank by 10 degrees.
No dust in the fans.

Ask a Question