MacBook Pro 16 w/ an external eGPU

Reaction score
I registerd in this foram and hoping to get answers of my questions.

I hope from the hardware experts to provide advice and they opinions on my planing of buying new MacBook Pro.

I'm thinking of buying a MacBook Pro 16, with these specifications:

• 2.6GHz 6‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i7 processor
• 32GB 2666MHz DDR4 memory
AMD Radeon Pro 5300M with 4GB of GDDR6 memory
• 1TB SSD storage

I chose the lowest graphics card for this model, because I plan to buy external eGPU (Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 550W), with XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS 8GB GDDR5, or Radeon RX 590 if its compatibal with macOS, and this external eGPU will cost me between $420 - $450.

In same time, I found if I add $200 for MBP 16 custom configuration, I will get the MBP w/ AMD Radeon Pro 5500M with 8GB of GDDR6 memory

The question is, dose that built-in MBP GPU (AMD 5500M w/8GB), it will be better performance than an external Sonnet eGFX w/XFX RX 580 w/8GB? or almost same?

Is there any notable performance feeling between the both kind of GPUs?

I'm a Graphic Designer, and I use photoshop a lot, and some time 3D Architecture Graphics using Cinema 4D.

Thanks in advance.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I don't have any experience with eGPUs at all...I actually have never even seen one in person.

Bare Feats actually has a comparison: 13-inch MacBook Pro versus the 16-inch MacBook Pro ... both with eGPUs

Normally, for heavy design work, it is recommended to go with a desktop over a portable. An iMac will handle those tasks with ease, and without the need for an external eGPU. But, a lot of designers like the portability of a MacBook Pro.

Hope that helps,

C

Ask a Question