macbook does not open (weird screen problem)

Reaction score
hi,

i shut down my macbook and cleaned up my screen. after that i opened my macbook and a flashing gray screen showed up. i cant login into my macbook. the grey flashing screen does not go away. what should i do?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Is it a flashing ? folder on a gray screen?
-Have you tried holding the Option key when starting up and choosing your startup disk?
-Have you tried resetting PRAM and repairing disk permissions?

C

Reaction score
it was a flickering gray screen than it turned to plain white screen. http://imgur.com/mXsr2Fb

i've tried option key at startup and didnt work. the other options also didnt help (holding shift or PRAM). the screen doesnt respond to anything except the power button.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
That looks like a diagnostic screen of some form. My guess is that it is a hardware issue and the display or logic board need replacement.

Do you have an Apple Store to Authorized Apple Service Center near you? I would get it checked out.

C

Reaction score
I had wavy lines on screen on my MBP that was a faulty logic board. In researching this I found:
ZDNET reported Apple has unveiled a repair extension program for MacBook Pro notebooks exhibiting video problems.

I quote ZDNET:
"Apple "has determined that a small percentage of MacBook Pro systems may exhibit distorted video, no video, or unexpected system restarts" and will repair these systems free of charge.
The issues covered are:
  • Distorted or scrambled video on the computer screen
  • No video on the computer screen (or external display) even though the computer is on
  • Computer restarts unexpectedly
The products affected have been identified as:
  • MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011)
  • MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2011)
  • MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2012)
  • MacBook Pro (17-inch Early 2011)
  • MacBook Pro (17-inch Late 2011)
  • MacBook Pro (Retina, 15 inch, Early 2013)
The program begins in the US and Canada on February 20, 2015, and in the rest of the world from February 27, 2015. "

I had my logic board replaced without charge.

Ask a Question