My MacBook has decided it doesn't want to share it's wifi connection with my PC

Reaction score
For the past year I've been sharing my macbook's wifi connection with a desktop PC via ethernet cable. It was working fine until yesterday when it suddenly stopped working for no apparent reason. The Macbook says that it's sharing, but the PC isn't picking up any connection–it says it's connected to an unidentified network, but not to the internet. The mac's running OSX 10.4.11, and the PC's running Windows 7.

Reaction score
Ok try this On the Mac sharing the internet connection (from Airport to Ethernet), turn ethernet "off" and see if both the "server" and "client" pull up a page in Safari.

Reaction score
When it comes to networking problems its probably not at the Mac end.

Reaction score
I ran windows network diagnostics on the PC and it said: '"Local Area Connection" doesn't have a valid IP configuration'

Reaction score
It's years since I ran a windows machine but try this.

Run the network troubleshooter and check what the result is. To open network troubleshooter follow the links given below.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Using-the-Network-troubleshooter-in-Windows-7
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Why-can-t-I-connect-to-a-network

If the troubleshooter does not help, would suggest you to use the below mentioned steps and check -
a) Click Start.
b) Type ‘cmd’ in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER
c) At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
ipconfig /all (there is a space between ipconfig and /)
the ipconfig /all command displays Windows TCP/IP settings for all your network adapters.
d) If your IP address for your Local Area Connection is either 0.0.0.0 or 169.x.x.x (where x is any number), then your computer is not getting an IP address from the router.
If that is the case, try this:
a. ipconfig /release in the command prompt and press ENTER
b. ipconfig /renew in the command prompt and press ENTER
e) Test it again by typing ipconfig /all to see what the address is?

That's as much help as I can give re MS Win, and that's pushing it as the old grey cells are what they used to be.:D

Reaction score
Thanks oldscribe, I ran ipconfig /all and it said that the autoconfiguration IPv4 address is 169.254.226.82, but it didn't change when I ran /release and /renew.

Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry that was my best shot :(, I would have thought that you would have had a IPv6 return.

Ask a Question