Has my MacBook Pro been hacked?

Reaction score
(Using OS Sierra - macOS 10.12.2)

Hi all, maybe a silly concern but I wanted to make sure.

About three months ago I opened up my Macbook Pro (13 inch, bought it 2011) only to discover as well as the normal hard drive icon on my desktop a second icon, with something like BCUDRIVE written as its name underneath it. I had no idea what it was.

to coincide with this, around the same time, I noticed that my keychain utility was open, which was unusual as I had not asked for it to be opened. Every time I lock it I get a message telling me that 'accountssd wants to use the keychain' and when I put me password in it unlocks it permanently.

I did google the name of the second hard drive at the time, and it was a partitioned or second drive for some reason, and I think it started happening as a result of the latest MacBook Pro software update being downloaded, around September time.

So was this normal? I didn't think until recently that I might have been hacked, though this seems somewhat unlikely.

Thanks all!

Drew

Last edited:
Reaction score
I doubt it was hacked. Could be that the latest update was accomplished cleanly...causing some issues.

Not out of the realm of possibilities is that your hard drive is going bad. Perhaps take this opportunity to breath new life into the system with a new SSD and fresh/install of the latest, supported operating system.

Ask a Question