Macbook Air stuck in all caps

Reaction score
Recently my MBA started only letting me input in all caps such that I could not even sign in to my account. I connected a usb keyboard and it worked just fine so I thought I must have a hardware issue. Then I updated to the latest software (High Sierra) and the problem was fixed on my MacBook Air only to return again in a couple of days. So then I did a complete reset and the problem resolved only to return again in a couple of days. Now I don't know if it is a hardware or software issue or both! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
You could try looking at the onscreen keyboard viewer to see if the shift key is stuck, just to verify this although you write it's a periodical issue which is very odd.

Also I'd advise to try a PRAM reset using the external keyboard:
  • Shut down your Mac.
  • Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
  • Turn on the computer.
  • Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
  • Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  • Release the keys.
How to reset NVRAM on your Mac

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and help S_D but my MBA is working properly again. I hadn't used it in about a month. Turned it on to try your suggestions and it was working just fine. Darndest thing!

Ask a Question