Macbook air broken display

Reaction score
Hi there,
I have a Macbook air 13inch from 2013. Some years ago, a part of my screen(no image sorry, but something like a white vertical rectangular shape with the size of about two thirds of my screen with black vertical stripes in it) started flickering on and off. It seemed like whenever I lightly "twisted" the screen from the bottom half, I could see the whole screen again. After a few months, the whole screen went black, no matter what I do. I can still boot it up np, I see the sound, and I also see the apple logo very very faintly when booting up, but nothing after that. I don't know much about this kind of stuff and would really really appreciate it if anyone could help. What could be the problem? Is it the graphic display card? LCD? LCD connector? How can I test it and is it possible me to fix it myself, like ordering LCD repair set online(out of warranty and mac repair is soooo expensive)? Thanks!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

That sounds like failed video cable and/or backlight (since you can faintly see the Apple logo at startup). You can try shining a flashlight at an angle on the screen when it is powered on...if the backlight failed, you will still see the Dock and menu bar.

I honestly don't recommend attempting the repair yourself, as you can easily cause more damage without the proper tools and experience. You could try starting it up normally and use it in closed-display mode with an external display.

C

Ask a Question