Mac upgrade

Reaction score
Hey all,
I have an imac 21.5inch mid 2014, with a 1TB Solid state SATA drive - that got put in a couple of years ago. I've worked out the mac is now too old to do any updates - I'm stuck with software update - mac OS big Sur 11.7.10.
From the internet searches I feel like there is no way I am able to update the mac as its no longer supported.

I can't afford to buy a new mac, so I feel like my only option is to get a newish/ refurbished one- perhaps like this - https://reebelo.com.au/collections/...++7-core+GPU&ram=8GB&condition=Pristine&mvno=

Does anyone think I, or a tech savvy person would be able to get the 1tb drive out of the old one and put it into the new one without it costing me a fortune?

thanks for any help and suggestions!

Reaction score
Hey all,
I have an imac 21.5inch mid 2014, with a 1TB Solid state SATA drive - that got put in a couple of years ago. I've worked out the mac is now too old to do any updates - I'm stuck with software update - mac OS big Sur 11.7.10.
From the internet searches I feel like there is no way I am able to update the mac as its no longer supported.

I can't afford to buy a new mac, so I feel like my only option is to get a newish/ refurbished one- perhaps like this - https://reebelo.com.au/collections/apple-imac-2021-m1-four-ports-24-inch?screenSize=24+Inch&storage=256GB&color=Blue&cpu=M1+Chip+8-core+CPU+++7-core+GPU&ram=8GB&condition=Pristine&mvno=

Does anyone think I, or a tech savvy person would be able to get the 1tb drive out of the old one and put it into the new one without it costing me a fortune?

thanks for any help and suggestions!
Try OWC, aka MacSales.com. They have a good inventory of used/refurbished Macs, and offer a lot of upgrades. They also have a comprehensive video library on how to install/upgrade Macs. They may even know how to patch your iMac so that it can run a newer version of macOS. I never had occasion to do it myself, but in your situation, it might be worth a try.

Reaction score
I too have heard good reports about Open Core Legacy Patcher.
Just make sure you do a complete backup first.

Ask a Question