SOLVED New iMac standard or upgrade?

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm about to buy a new iMac, but I'm not sure if I should get the basic version or an upgrade. At the moment I have an iMac 27" late 2013 with 24GB ram and 500GB SSD. I run programs such as Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and Premiere and often they run at the same time. Is the standard 8GB ram sufficient? What is your experience with this ?

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm about to buy a new iMac, but I'm not sure if I should get the basic version or an upgrade. At the moment I have an iMac 27" late 2013 with 24GB ram and 500GB SSD. I run programs such as Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and Premiere and often they run at the same time. Is the standard 8GB ram sufficient? What is your experience with this ?
Definitely go with 16 gibibytes of memory. I know users who opted for the 8 GB memory/256 GB SSD who started to have issues with memory swaps. It’s a sure formula for premature SSD demise. Also, since you probably use Creative Cloud a lot, I suggest getting 1 TB of storage. You probably don’t use Ethernet, so you can go with the basic option.

You might miss the larger display of your 27" iMac, but you can always add a second monitor.

Reaction score
Definitely go with 16 gibibytes of memory. I know users who opted for the 8 GB memory/256 GB SSD who started to have issues with memory swaps. It’s a sure formula for premature SSD demise. Also, since you probably use Creative Cloud a lot, I suggest getting 1 TB of storage. You probably don’t use Ethernet, so you can go with the basic option.

You might miss the larger display of your 27" iMac, but you can always add a second monitor.
Thank you Tony, for your reaction!

Ask a Question