Mac Store

Reaction score
Please provide more details. If the app you updated has another, newer update available, the App store will "bug you" about it.

Reaction score
I have already updated this program to the update called for at the Apple Store. And, now, I can't update to 10.12.2. I've gone through the procedure 3 times. Do I have a gremlin?

Reaction score
So, it looks like it's Sierra you are talking about. Initially, it was version 10.12, but there have been 2 updates, V10.12.1, and V10.12.2. Which one do you have now, and how did you obtain and install it?

Reaction score
I now have 10.12.1. I have tried to upgrade twice through the Apple Store, going through the entire procedure, restarting, waiting the 20 min, etc. And,still, I'm notified that I have that update to do??

Reaction score
OK, I have never actually upgraded the MacOS "directly" via the App store. One thing I despise about downloading from the App Store is that for some stuff, it is difficult to see the progress of the download. For downloading the "full" Mac OS (I actually did that with OS 10.12.2), first, it can take a while. Secondly, when it is done, a file entitled "Install macOS Sierra" winds up inside the Applications folder. But, to get to that version, one would have to actually launch that file. However, when one does that, that file disappears after the update. That's why it is so important to FIRST make a copy of it in another location, so that in case one needs it again, it would not be necessary to download it from the App Store again.

There is, though, another way you can upgrade to OS 10.12.2 without using the App Store. You can download an updater yourself. Apple typically offers two such updaters, an "incremental" (and smaller) one, (in terms of file size), and a Combo Updater. I have always used the Combo Updater, and it has always worked well for me. You can get the OS 10.12.2 Combo Updater from here:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1900?locale=en_US

However, no matter how you update to OS 10.12.2 (or whatever), it would be best if you first insure you have "as clean a system as possible", and secondly, have a backup of the prior, clean, OS 10.12.1 system (in your case). One would not expect anything to go wrong when applying the update (even the smaller, incremental one), but it's always better to be safe than sorry.

Going that route, however, will not necessarily eliminate those somewhat "annoying" alerts from the App store. I actually get them too, but they are (most of the time) updates for some Apple apps I do not use. I don't turn it off, as there are a couple of useful, non-Apple Apps I have "purchased" from the App store that have updates occasionally available.

Last edited:
Reaction score
OK, I have never actually upgraded the MacOS "directly" via the App store. One thing I despise about downloading from the App Store is that for some stuff, it is difficult to see the progress of the download. For downloading the "full" Mac OS (I actually did that with OS 10.12.2), first, it can take a while. Secondly, when it is done, a file entitled "Install macOS Sierra" winds up inside the Applications folder. But, to get to that version, one would have to actually launch that file. However, when one does that, that file disappears after the update. That's why it is so important to FIRST make a copy of it in another location, so that in case one needs it again, it would not be necessary to download it from the App Store again.

There is, though, another way you can upgrade to OS 10.12.2 without using the App Store. You can download an updater yourself. Apple typically offers two such updaters, an "incremental" (and smaller) one, (in terms of file size), and a Combo Updater. I have always used the Combo Updater, and it has always worked well for me. You can get the OS 10.12.2 Combo Updater from here:

However, no matter how you update to OS 10.12.2 (or whatever), it would be best if you first insure you have "as clean a system as possible", and secondly, have a backup of the prior, clean, OS 10.12.1 system (in your case). One would not expect anything to go wrong when applying the update (even the smaller, incremental one), but it's always better to be safe than sorry.

Going that route, however, will not necessarily eliminate those somewhat "annoying" alerts from the App store. I actually get them too, but they are (most of the time) updates for some Apple apps I do not use. I don't turn it off, as there are a couple of useful, non-Apple Apps I have "purchased" from the App store that have updates occasionally available.

Reaction score
You're welcome! Please heed my advice about first making sure you have a "clean", OS 10.12.1 system and secondly, to first make a backup of that clean system to an external device. I would hate to see something go wrong (most likely not to happen, but who knows?) after you apply the update.

Reaction score
Yes, that should be enough for baking up. How often does Time Machine run?

The one thing I don't like about Time Machine is recovery from a disaster. Yes, it can be done, but it is not so simple. I use SuperDuper! for my backups, and it creates a bootable/clone of my system. So, if I need to recover, I can just boot my machine off that clone, and from there, it is easier to do a restore.

Now, what about making your OS 10.12.1 "clean"? What steps do you plan on taking to do that?

Reaction score
Yes, that should be enough for baking up. How often does Time Machine run?

The one thing I don't like about Time Machine is recovery from a disaster. Yes, it can be done, but it is not so simple. I use SuperDuper! for my backups, and it creates a bootable/clone of my system. So, if I need to recover, I can just boot my machine off that clone, and from there, it is easier to do a restore.

Now, what about making your OS 10.12.1 "clean"? What steps do you plan on taking to do that?

Time Machine runs every hour.
What I like about it is that if I lose something I'm working on or a missing one, I can easily find it within days or months.
Does Super Duper have such a feature?

I don't really know how to make it clean.
I tried the combo download twice. I saw it downloading and then it stopped. I got a message the second time that "Preview" had prevented the upload?
(*_*)

Reaction score
Time Machine runs every hour.
What I like about it is that if I lose something I'm working on or a missing one, I can easily find it within days or months.
Does Super Duper have such a feature?

I don't really know how to make it clean.
I tried the combo download twice. I saw it downloading and then it stopped. I got a message the second time that "Preview" had prevented the upload?
(*_*)

Reaction score
I do use Disk Utility, Dr. Cleaner and MacClean on a weekly basis.

I am not familiar with Dr. Cleaner or MacClean, preferring to use the free, venerable, and proven software Onyx, and the excellent commercial product TechTool Pro. I guess, though, that those two products are OK. Not sure, though, how thorough they are.

As for Disk Utility, if you are not using it in a "remote" fashion, then it is not doing much good.

Not sure why you are having issues downloading the Combo Updater. It will take some time, especially if you have a slow internet connection. Also, the resulting file will wind up inside your Downloads folder, which is inside your User folder. It will not wind up inside your Applications folder.

I suspect SuperDuper! has the feature you need, but I don't actually need it, as I am not doing anything really critical on either of my machines. I back up each of my Macs once a week to external devices, after using Onyx and TechTool Pro for disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs.

Finally, you state above "I got a message the second time that "Preview" had prevented the upload?". Why upload? You are downloading it!

Reaction score
I need to elaborate on something else for you.

I suspect you do not have any advanced disk maintenance software like TechTool Pro, Disk Warrior, or Drive Genius. And again, I am not familiar with Dr. Cleaner nor MacClean, and thus do not know how much disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs they do.

In that situation, for you to 1) recover from a "disaster" and 2) use Disk Utility in a "remote" fashion to repair your internal drive, you would need to boot to the (hidden) Recovery HD partition. That "feature" has been part of the Mac OS since Lion, OS 10.7. This link describes how you would boot to that partition, and what it can do:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

Note the choice of using Disk Utility there. If need be, by using Disk Utility there, it can repair your disk directory, which can cause issues. Also, for re-installing the Mac OS, it will be a slow process via that partition.

Myself, I take a different approach. As I mentioned, I use SuperDuper! for my backups. By creating a bootable clone of my system, it's almost like having another computer to boot from. That is, I can boot either of my Macs from its applicable SuperDuper! backup (on the external device). I can then run Disk Utility form there, and given that I always have a couple of copies of the "Install "whatever MacOS" file, I can first use Disk Utility to Erase and Format the internal drive (SSDs in my case) on my Mac, launch that "Install whatever" file and do a clean, "virgin" installation of the applicable Mac OS, and then use Migration Assistant to "migrate"/copy needed stuff from my backup (you would be able to do the same from that Recovery HD partition, as the use of Migration Assistant is offered after the installation of the Mac OS is completed).

If I don't want to do all that, I can just start up my Mac from the SuperDuper! backup, and then do a direct recovery from that backup. What SuperDuper! does is that case is to first Erase the internal drive/partition on my Mac, and then does an exact restore of the bootable backup to my internal SSD. I can then re-start my Mac like normal.

As for the ""Install whatever" file", for any Mac OS prior to Sierra, for example, El Capitan, the name of that installer file would be "Install MacOSX El Capitan". But for Sierra, it is "Install macOS Sierra".

As for TechTool Pro, when I boot my Mac normally to start my disk cleanup/maintenance/repair tasks, I first launch Onyx and run its useful features. When I next launch TechTool Pro, that software also creates a small eDrive partition on my drive. I select it in TechTool pro, and my Mac restarts from it. I can then use the various useful TechTool features there to perform disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs. It is akin to that Recovery HD partition I mentioned above, but it is faster to get to. Plus, TechTool Pro does a lot more disk-related tasks than Disk Utility (along with a couple of other things).

Sorry for the long explanation, but I hope it clears up some statements I made above.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I found the combo-download in my download folder and followed procedure. I'm still on 10.12.1!!
Do you think my 2012 iMac is too old to function properly?

I have used Tech Tool Pro,Onyx and Disk Warrior previously, but find these new apps to be quicker and easier to handle. I do start Disk Utility from the recovery disk.

Reaction score
That makes no sense, that you would still be on 10.12.1! As it is, the ".1" update was the first one for Sierra, so Apple (as usual) does not offer a Combo Updater for a ".1" update. Are you sure you followed the procedures correctly?

And no, your 2012 iMac is not too old. Heck, I have a late 2012 Mac Mini, and it accepted the updater just fine. Maybe try again, and here is the link again (get rid of the other one first):

If that still does not work (I'd be surprised if it did not, unless there is something else "wrong"), you could download the full OS 10.12.2.file from the App Store, and after making a copy of it, run it and see if that updates your system.

As far as disk utilities are concerned, to each one's own, I guess. For a number of the tasks on the newer versions of TechTool Pro, in order to apply them to your internal drive, you would need to run TechTool Pro from the eDrive. Also, both Onyx and TechTool Pro can Repair Permissions. Supposedly, ever since El Capitan, the Mac OS takes care of that, but I have found the opposite to be true, as every time I run Onyx (once a week), it does find permissions that need to be repaired.

Reaction score
HI again,
It's been awhile, and I have had other issues -HP printer not recognizing computer. HP idiot tech sent me to an Emies Geek technical support, where they told me I had been hacked. Of course, I agreed to their $500 forever charge to protect all my electronic equipment. During the next week and many hours/day I finally blew and told them only to charge me the $100 one-time fee. HP is trying to get a tech for me

Anyway, I tried to download the combo, and after a couple of restarts and long minutes, I finally downloaded it. (*_*)

Can you please tell me how to post a new topic on the forum? I can only find "post replies" I'm having a Mail problem with the new OS

Reaction score
First, what is an "Emies Geek technical support"?

Secondly, did they get your HP printer to work with your Mac?

Third, what EMail program are you using?

Fourth, when you click on a forum heading, near the top, and towards the right, you'll see, in orange, "Post New Thread". For example, here is that screen after I clicked on "Mac OS X", under Mac software:

https://www.mac-help.com/forums/mac-os-x.8/

Just click on "Post New Thread" to post a new topic.

Ask a Question