App store offering El Capitan update on Sierra machine

Discussion in 'Mac OS X' started by doughemi, Dec 6, 2017.

1. doughemi

doughemi New Member

The App Store insists that I should update El Capitan, even though my iMac is running Sierra 10.12.6. If I click install to get it out of the App Store, sometimes it reports that the update cannot be installed, and other times it just ignores the request.

Is there a way to get this out of the updates queue? Earlier versions allowed one to ignore updates, but that is no longer possible.

doughemi, Dec 6, 2017
    1. Advertisements

2. doughemi

honestone VIP Member

That is weird! I am looking at my "stuff" in the App Store, and for Updates, it does not show any update/upgrade for any prior OS. There is a "banner" at the top for High Sierra. On my Purchased items, though, it does show that I can download Lion, Mavericks, Yosemite, and El Capitan (strangely nothing for Sierra). Are you sure you are not looking at your "Purchased" items?

honestone, Dec 6, 2017
    1. Advertisements

3. doughemi

doughemi New Member

Nope--it's an available update
    snap.jpg

doughemi, Dec 7, 2017
  4. doughemi

honestone VIP Member

Really strange!

honestone, Dec 7, 2017
  5. doughemi

Pasquanel New Member

I started with Mountain Lion but I only show Yosemite and El Capitan in my purchased list.

Pasquanel, Dec 9, 2017
  6. doughemi

honestone VIP Member

Mine shows Lion, then Mavericks, Yosemite, and El Capitan. I am certain I did download and install Mountain Lion, and I know I definitely did that for Sierra. As I've mentioned numerous times, after I download a full OS installation file from the App Store, I immediately make a copy of it in another location on my internal (startup) drive. Then, the 2 SuperDuper! backups I make for each of my Macs also have those same two copies. So, I have the OS 10.12.6 "Install macOS Sierra" file in at least 8 locations between my two Macs and my backups, and thus not seeing it in the App store is not a detriment, but is really strange.

honestone, Dec 9, 2017
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question