App store offering El Capitan update on Sierra machine

Reaction score
The App Store insists that I should update El Capitan, even though my iMac is running Sierra 10.12.6. If I click install to get it out of the App Store, sometimes it reports that the update cannot be installed, and other times it just ignores the request.

Is there a way to get this out of the updates queue? Earlier versions allowed one to ignore updates, but that is no longer possible.

Reaction score
That is weird! I am looking at my "stuff" in the App Store, and for Updates, it does not show any update/upgrade for any prior OS. There is a "banner" at the top for High Sierra. On my Purchased items, though, it does show that I can download Lion, Mavericks, Yosemite, and El Capitan (strangely nothing for Sierra). Are you sure you are not looking at your "Purchased" items?

Reaction score
Nope--it's an available update
snap.jpg

Reaction score
I started with Mountain Lion but I only show Yosemite and El Capitan in my purchased list.

Reaction score
Mine shows Lion, then Mavericks, Yosemite, and El Capitan. I am certain I did download and install Mountain Lion, and I know I definitely did that for Sierra. As I've mentioned numerous times, after I download a full OS installation file from the App Store, I immediately make a copy of it in another location on my internal (startup) drive. Then, the 2 SuperDuper! backups I make for each of my Macs also have those same two copies. So, I have the OS 10.12.6 "Install macOS Sierra" file in at least 8 locations between my two Macs and my backups, and thus not seeing it in the App store is not a detriment, but is really strange.

Ask a Question