Frustration with App Store!

Reaction score
This really mind boggling! I visited the App Store a couple of hours ago, and I downloaded the ?latest? version of High Sierra, or so I thought. When the downloaded completed, I clicked on the "Install macOS High Sierra" icon, and did a "Get Info". To my dismay, it said the version was 10.13.2! How can that be? That is 4 versions behind the current version, 10.13.6. Yes, if I installed it, I could download the OS 10.13.6 Combo Updater, and apply it to FINALLY arrive at OS 10.13.6. But why go through all that hassle?

Fortunately, on my SuperDuper! backup, I have the OS 10.13.5 "Install macos High Sierra" file, along with the OS 10.13.6 Combo Updater. But why all the confusion?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

I just deleted and re-downloaded the High Sierra installer. This is the Get Info window:
highsierrainstaller.png

If you have any external hard drives with copies of the installer, or any other copies on your internal, it may interfere with the download. Try disconnecting all your external drives, deleting all the copies in you Applications folder (an anywhere else you may have copied it), and download it again. I would bet you'll get the same one I did.

C

Reaction score
First, I deleted the "install macos High Sierra" file I had on my internal SSD (not inside the Applications Folder, by the way). Secondly, I deleted the OS 10.13.6 Combo Updater, also on my internal SSD. And third, my external SSD (where I do my SuperDuper! backups to) was disconnected.

Yes, I did get the same one you did, and it says "Version: 13.6.02". Does that mean V10.13.2". If not, then what the heck does Version: 13.6.02" mean? If that means V10.13.6, that sure is a strange (and stupid!) way to name it!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
It probably means 10.13.6 release 2 or something. I would guess they don't add the 10 at the beginning of the version, as all installers for all versions of OS X are 10. ;)

They may have updated the original 10.13.6 installer with the latest Security Update, thus making it .02.

C

Reaction score
Yeah, in "poking" around the net with various searches, that seems to be the case. But what a bizarre way to name it.

I guess Apple does not believe in the KISS philosophy: Keep It Simple, Stupid.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
I think they are using the standard format for software versioning:

major.minor.revision

Since they are all part of OS X, they skip the 10, or they would need to use the naming convention of 10.13.6.02, which gets a little too long. The revision has two digits, as they could release very minor bug fixes more than ten times before the next minor update to 10.13.7, or 13.7.01.

C

Reaction score
Actually, I "jumped the gun", so to speak. When one goes to "Featured" ai the App Store, and then click on "mac OS High Sierra", on the next page that appears, it says Version 10.13.6. So what you say is accurate. But I still say Apple needs to name it more clearly when one does a "Get Info" on the file.

In any event, I downloaded it on my Mac MIni, and then moved the "Install macos High Sierra" file from the Applications Folder to another location/folder I have on my internal SSD.

Thanks for the explanation, Cory.

Ask a Question