Invisible Desktop causing much frustration.

Reaction score
After restarting my Macbook my Desktop icons have disappeared (apart from my HD). but according to my HD space, no files have been deleted. Using Spotlight I can still actually search and open the files that used to be on the Desktop, they still display as being located on the Desktop. I cannot save any new files to the Desktop.
I am running Tiger OS X, not Leopard just yet - and I haven't recently upgraded or installed any new programs.

I initially tried restarting my laptop, the Finder and also checked the Disk to see if it needed any repairs. No luck.
I am guessing that the .DS_Store files created by Finder are causing me the hassle. I already have Cocktail and I tried using the drag & drop method they offer, but it didn't work.
I have also tried the sudo command (execute a command as another user) sudo rm -rf and dragged the files into the terminal - although, I was denied access to delete them; I don't think they are actually classed as a file? And also specifically rm ~/desktop/.DS_Store but I got an Input/output error.

Now, later I tried verifying and repairing my home directory image (by creating another account with privileges and accessing my home through it) - This told a different story: First Aid failed on repair disk ("Volume 1 could not be repaired because of an error").

In the meantime, I have dragged the folders that I can remember from the Desktop using Spotlight into a separate folder that I can access - but I'd still like to get this fixed. I am thinking about dragging all of my files (that I can find!) over to my external HD.

Any ideas? Cheers.

Reaction score
After restarting my Macbook my Desktop icons have disappeared (apart from my HD). but according to my HD space, no files have been deleted. Using Spotlight I can still actually search and open the files that used to be on the Desktop, they still display as being located on the Desktop. I cannot save any new files to the Desktop.
I am running Tiger OS X, not Leopard just yet - and I haven't recently upgraded or installed any new programs.

I initially tried restarting my laptop, the Finder and also checked the Disk to see if it needed any repairs. No luck.
I am guessing that the .DS_Store files created by Finder are causing me the hassle. I already have Cocktail and I tried using the drag & drop method they offer, but it didn't work.
I have also tried the sudo command (execute a command as another user) sudo rm -rf and dragged the files into the terminal - although, I was denied access to delete them; I don't think they are actually classed as a file? And also specifically rm ~/desktop/.DS_Store but I got an Input/output error.

Now, later I tried verifying and repairing my home directory image (by creating another account with privileges and accessing my home through it) - This told a different story: First Aid failed on repair disk ("Volume 1 could not be repaired because of an error").

In the meantime, I have dragged the folders that I can remember from the Desktop using Spotlight into a separate folder that I can access - but I'd still like to get this fixed. I am thinking about dragging all of my files (that I can find!) over to my external HD.

Any ideas? Cheers.
Hello, what do you mean by "Desktop Icons"? Are these the icons of applications? :confused:

Reaction score
Hi.
By "Desktop Icons" I mean the files that I am keeping on the Desktop for easier access - they are not neccessarily Application shortcuts.

Reaction score
I doubt severely that this will be of any help, but I figure I'll throw this idea out there anyway. Have you tried View>Arrange by>Name from the menubar while on your desktop? What I'm thinking is that the icons somehow went past the limitations of your monitor, and Arranging them by name though the View menu just may bring them back to where you can get to them. Also, make sure your resolution is where it should be. Simply a thought, hope it turns out to be something that simple. :)

Reaction score

Any ideas? Cheers.
You might want to make sure that the permissions to your Desktop are set to read & write as well. In addition, just in case you managed to turn on the invisibility bit on your desktop files, here's an Applescript that will show you the invisible files in the selected directory. In your case it's the Desktop. So, make sure that there are no open windows, double click the AppleScript (See attachment) then click on the run button.

Attachments

• ShowInvisiblesInSelectedDirectory.scpt.zip
    3.1 KB · Views: 357
Reaction score
Hi Andrew~, thanks for your suggestion - but I have already tried this. I wish it was that easy, too. Thanks.

Walrus666, thanks for the script. This could work, only I am getting the following AppleScript Error: "Can't get name of alias "Name : Desktop".

Is there a way around this?

Reaction score
Hi Andrew~, thanks for your suggestion - but I have already tried this. I wish it was that easy, too. Thanks.

Walrus666, thanks for the script. This could work, only I am getting the following AppleScript Error: "Can't get name of alias "Name : Desktop".

Is there a way around this?

Well, I heard of an alias on a Desktop but not an alias Desktop. I know I'm missing something here. If you want to see the actual invisible files on your desktop you could install Ric's Show and Hide Invisible actions and download my NowYouSeeEmNowYouDont app to go along with them if you like.
https://www.mac-help.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294
In the meantime, have you checked your Desktop permissions, making sure that they're set to read & write and have you tried repairing permissions?

Reaction score
Hi Walrus666, yes I have tried both checking my Desktop permissions and tried repairing them. There doesn't seem to be any problem, but like I said in my original post I tried verifying and repairing my home directory image again by creating another account with privileges and accessing my home through it and First Aid failed on repair disk ("Volume 1 could not be repaired because of an error"). I got an error with Ric's script oncemore, but I have already used Cocktail to show Invisible files but the Desktop is still showing that no files exist there (but they do, as once I manually search for them, they will display on the Desktop as normal and only vanish after a restart). I am stumped.

Reaction score
Hi Walrus666, yes I have tried both checking my Desktop permissions and tried repairing them. There doesn't seem to be any problem, but like I said in my original post I tried verifying and repairing my home directory image again by creating another account with privileges and accessing my home through it and First Aid failed on repair disk ("Volume 1 could not be repaired because of an error"). I got an error with Ric's script oncemore, but I have already used Cocktail to show Invisible files but the Desktop is still showing that no files exist there (but they do, as once I manually search for them, they will display on the Desktop as normal and only vanish after a restart). I am stumped.
If you have Cocktail there's no point in using my AppleScript. Feel free to trash it.
What about your hard drive icon, do you see it on your desktop? I'm also curious about your "home directory image" and the message that you received saying that Volume 1 can't be repaired. If you're dealing with Volumes they will disappear whenever you reboot your Mac.

Reaction score
Yes, the HD Icon is always on display on the Desktop.
I honestly don't know that much about Volumes, so I'm not sure if what I said is directly related to my problem or not. If there is any more information that I can give you, let me know. Thanks so far.

Reaction score
The part that is puzzling me is this "volume 1" mention. Do you have your HD partitioned? Have you tried to re-start your Mac from the original installation disk and then running Disk Utility to verify your disk that way? It is a known fact that if you run Disk Utility from your own HD, you cannot repair any disk problems. You can only repair permissions.

Reaction score
The part that is puzzling me is this "volume 1" mention. Do you have your HD partitioned? Have you tried to re-start your Mac from the original installation disk and then running Disk Utility to verify your disk that way? It is a known fact that if you run Disk Utility from your own HD, you cannot repair any disk problems. You can only repair permissions.

I could be mistaken but it seems that our friend created a disk image of his Home folder and named it Volume 1.:confused:

Reaction score
Nope, I haven't altered my HD in any way, but one thing I haven't tried is to use my installation discs to fix a potentially damaged drive. Many thanks, I'll let you know how it goes.

Reaction score
just an update, the discs didn't help. my system, apart from that, is running well, so i will reinstall os when i have the time.

cheers.

Ask a Question