I erased and restored my Macintosh HD?

Reaction score
Hello,

While rebooting, I pressed command and R and went to Disk utility, then i went to Machintosh HD and i erased it because i wanted to erase everything on my imac to start fresh, i also clicked ''restore'' and then Machintosh HD disappeared instead i have now ''OS X base system'', Then i exited and restarted my computer to log back in and now i cant.. Apple logo and the bar gets filled up but it gets stuck and restarts again. I did not back up anything because i don't have anything important in my computer and as i said i wanted everything gone so i did this and now i cant get pass the apple logo. I cant reinstall Mac OS Sierra because it says '' this disk is not formatted as MAC OS extended (journaled)'' I really don't know what i did wrong and i suck at fixing problems like this. Anyone know what i can do?

Reaction score
I just made similar post in another thread. Here is what you need to do:

1. Start up your Mac from the (hidden) Recovery HD partition, like you did before.

2. Like before, select Disk Utility, and let it Erase and Format your internal drive. Just make sure that the Format is "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)".

3. When that is done, select Option #2, Reinstall macOS. That process should 1) download the newest version of Sierra from the App Store, and 2) do a clean, "virgin" installation of OS 10.12.3 (a newer update, OS 10.12.4, will be coming out any day) onto your drive.

4. Restart your Mac, and then you'll need to go through the normal setup process as if you had a new Mac.

Reaction score
I just made similar post in another thread. Here is what you need to do:

1. Start up your Mac from the (hidden) Recovery HD partition, like you did before.

2. Like before, select Disk Utility, and let it Erase and Format your internal drive. Just make sure that the Format is "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)".

3. When that is done, select Option #2, Reinstall macOS. That process should 1) download the newest version of Sierra from the App Store, and 2) do a clean, "virgin" installation of OS 10.12.3 (a newer update, OS 10.12.4, will be coming out any day) onto your drive.

4. Restart your Mac, and then you'll need to go through the normal setup process as if you had a new Mac.
If you don't mind, here is what i see right now. It may help you understand better of what is going on
17142422_1501384233218544_72431280_o.jpg
17194089_1501384263218541_1252097812_o.jpg
17194125_1501384229885211_1709685_o.jpg
17195527_1501384259885208_178673304_o.jpg
17195636_1501384236551877_1980292636_o.jpg

Reaction score
i also clicked ''restore'' and then Machintosh HD disappeared instead i have now ''OS X base system'',

I don't really know how restore works, but I'm curious....

If you wiped the drive clean, what software would be performing the restore, which I am guessing means "download OSX from Apple"? OS X base system, whatever that is?

I'm an old stick in the mud, but personally I avoid the Mac App Store generally, and specifically any process which involves downloading OSX over the net. Cory and others will likely have a less cynical take on the matter.

Good luck.

Reaction score
I don't really know how restore works, but I'm curious....

If you wiped the drive clean, what software would be performing the restore, which I am guessing means "download OSX from Apple"? OS X base system, whatever that is?

I'm an old stick in the mud, but personally I avoid the Mac App Store generally, and specifically any process which involves downloading OSX over the net. Cory and others will likely have a less cynical take on the matter.

Good luck.

I already stated above what happens next, very clearly:

"Select Option #2, Reinstall macOS. That process should 1) download the newest version of Sierra from the App Store, and 2) do a clean, "virgin" installation of OS 10.12.3 (a newer update, OS 10.12.4, will be coming out any day) onto your drive."

As stated, that process would need to go to the App Store and download the latest version of the OS. That is a slow process. Myself, I always make a copy of that "Install macOS Sierra" file in another location. Then, via my SuperDuper! on an external drive, use Disk Utility there to Erase and Format my internal SSD, launch that "Install macOS Sierra" file, do the clean, "virgin" installation of Sierra (OS 10.12.3, in my case, as I have the latest version), then use Migration Assistant to "migrate"/install the stuff I want from the backup. No need to re-visit the App Store, and using Disk Utility on that backup is MUCH faster than on the Recovery HD partition, as booting from a SuperDuper! backup is WAY, WAY faster than booting from the Recovery HD partition.

Ask a Question