How to install Yosemite on erased external HD under El Capitan.

Reaction score
Hello all,

My current configuration is iMac 10,1 21.5" (late 2009) running OS X 10.11.4.

I've erased a 2TB external drive (now Mac OS Extended [Journaled]) and tried to use "Install OS X Yosemite" from within the "Applications" folder. A warning window appears saying - This copy of the "Install OS X" application is too old to be opened on this version of OS X.

Opening "App Store" and clicking "Purchased" shows "OS X Yosemite" 18 October 2014 - "Downloaded" button is inactive.

Is there any way I can download the Yosemite installer "Install OS X Yosemite.app" or a .dmg file and install it on the 2TB external drive, please?

Sincerely, ranger1.

Reaction score
Hi,

I use three ways to create a boot-able OS X install drive, using the installer’s built-in createinstallmediatool, using Disk Utility, or performing the Disk Utility procedure using Terminal.

You may need a friend to down load Yosemite, if your purchased option is grey.

1. Open the Utilities folder if it's closed.
  2. Double-click Terminal.
  3. It is important to remember what your hard drive was called? If you didn't call it "Installer," you'll need to change the pathname where it says /Volumes/Installer to the name of your drive. Copy the following text: sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Installer --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app --nointeraction
  4. Paste that text into the Terminal application and hit the Return key.
  5. You will be prompted to enter your system password the password you use to update apps on your Mac, or to login at boot.
  6. The process of readying the disk as a bootable drive will begin. It should say "Copy Complete" when it's done.
To use it, simply connect the drive to the target Mac with the power off. Turn the power on, hold down the Option key, and select the drive from the list that appears on the screen.

Reaction score
Hi,

I use three ways to create a boot-able OS X install drive, using the installer’s built-in createinstallmediatool, using Disk Utility, or performing the Disk Utility procedure using Terminal.

3. It is important to remember what your hard drive was called? If you didn't call it "Installer," you'll need to change the pathname where it says /Volumes/Installer to the name of your drive. Copy the following text: sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Installer --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app --nointeraction
  5. You will be prompted to enter your system password the password you use to update apps on your Mac, or to login at boot.
  6. The process of readying the disk as a bootable drive will begin. It should say "Copy Complete" when it's done.
To use it, simply connect the drive to the target Mac with the power off. Turn the power on, hold down the Option key, and select the drive from the list that appears on the screen.
Hello oldscribe,

I love your moniker. Thank you for your kind advice. All parts of this exercise I carried out with the internal OS X 10.11.4 as active system.

After amending the text you supplied to read:
"sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app —nointeraction"
("Untitled" being the name of the formatted but blank 2TB external HD.)

After entering this text into "Terminal" and hitting "return", the following warning appears in the Terminal window:
"WARNING: Improper use of the sudo command could lead to data loss
or the deletion of important system files. Please double-check your
typing when using sudo. Type "man sudo" for more information.
To proceed, enter your password, or type Ctrl-C to abort."

Which "data loss" and/or deletion of important system files" does the warning refer to, please? The target 2TB external is formatted but blank.

Sincerely, ranger1.

Reaction score
Hi,

Hello oldscribe,

I love your moniker. Thank you for your kind advice. All parts of this exercise I carried out with the internal OS X 10.11.4 as active system.

After amending the text you supplied to read:
sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app —nointeraction
("Untitled" being the name of the formatted but blank 2TB external HD.)

After entering this text into "Terminal" and hitting "return", the following warning appears in the Terminal window:
"WARNING: Improper use of the sudo command could lead to data loss
or the deletion of important system files. Please double-check your
typing when using sudo. Type "man sudo" for more information.
To proceed, enter your password, or type Ctrl-C to abort."

Which "data loss" and/or deletion of im
Hi ranger,

Terminal as you know is can be deadly, but as long as you have the correct target drive selected then the deletion and clean up would be part of the install procces.

But to save me a long post here is a link to an easier methord for your peace of mind.
http://osxdaily.com/2014/06/09/install-os-x-yosemite-on-external-drive/

Let us know results.;)
G'day oldscribe,

Thanks for your continuing help. Regarding the <osxdaily.com> link, I notice the date (created?) as being June 2014. As this was before El Capitan arrived to create so much universal havoc, I think this may not advance the cause.

With 10.11.4 internal active, I used Terminal to erase external 2TB and copy installer files etc. When Terminal instructions were complete, the 2 TB HD had been renamed from "Untitled" to "Install OS X Yosemite".
Upon opening that 2 TB HD icon and double clicking "Install OS X Yosemite" app, El Capitan prevents installation proceeding by warning "this copy of 'Install OS X' is too old...".

After rebooting with 10.10.3 external active, upon opening that 2 TB HD icon and double clicking "Install OS X Yosemite" app, Yosemite requires an administrator's name and password to be entered before installation can proceed. The contents of “Users” folder and “External 500GB Get Info do not match. This also prevents Yosemite being installed on 2TB external.

Until I can learn how to create and new admin user and new password on that 500GB Yosemite external HD that that system WILL accept, I will keep failing to circumvent the impediments both El Capitan (internal) and Yosemite (external 500GB) use to obstruct my installation efforts.

Appreciatively, ranger1.

P.S. The 2 jpg files (around 50kb each) which illustrate each failed attempt will not upload. Sorry.

Reaction score
Hi,

Always best to down load direct from site, but I trust macupdate plus you can see reviews questions and answers from the developer there.
Please let us know how you do.
And I hope all goes well this time ranger.

Reaction score
Hi,

Always best to down load direct from site, but I trust macupdate plus you can see reviews questions and answers from the developer there.
Please let us know how you do.
And I hope all goes well this time ranger.
Hello honestone and oldscribe,

After downloading DiskMaker X 5(03) from <diskmakerx.com> site, I installed it in internal 10.11.4 "Applications" folder.
(I also have a copy on the internal 10.11.4 desktop. El Capitan says this copy is "too old" to use.)
Double clicking "DiskMaker X 5" icon (in Apploications folder) opens window "Which version of OS X do you wish to make a boot disk of?
Selecting "Yosemite (10.10) opens window "I found a copy in .../Applications".
Selecting "Use this copy" opens window "Which kind of disk...?
Selecting "Another kind of disk" opens window "FatBoySlim10.10.3" with Cancel as the only active button ("Use this disk" button is dimmed.
Clicking "Cancel" button (only option) opens window "Sorry, I can’t find a disk to use… Please plug a disk, then relaunch DiskMaker V."

With internal 10.11.4 active, DiskMaker will not allow me to even access 500GB external FatBoySlim (where 10.10.3 is already installed). It does not recognise the formatted 2TB external HD is connected either.

I have "Install OS X Yosemite" on FBS 10.10.3 external HD desktop and when I reboot with that Yosemite active, that installer will allow me to install it on the 2TB external EXCEPT that that 10.10.3 system will not accept any User/password combinations which I enter.

With external 10.10.3 as active system (after rebooting), if ONLY I could create a new user and password that WAS accepted, I could then (seemingly) install Yosemite on the 2 TB external HD without further difficulties.

Thanking you both for your generous and continuing help, I remain

Yours sincerely, ranger1.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi,

I am stumped as never had to create a user and password on any bootable stick that I have made. This goes back to lion I think.

Reaction score
Hi,

I am stumped as never had to create a user and password on any bootable stick that I have made. This goes back to lion I think.
Thank you oldscribe for your continuing advice,

I've even tried rebooting (with default internal El Capitan active), holding down the "alt" key to bring up all available OS X versions/locations (?) to select a reboot system from. I select Install Yosemite 10.10 and press return. I identify "Install OS X Yosemite" as external HD on which to install Yosemite. A warning window appears "This copy of the install OS X Yosemite application can't be verified. It may be corrupted or tampered with during downloading" >> "OK". Clicking "OK" returns to previous screen. A loop is created.

After quitting installer, being asked to select a restart disk, I select external 500GB FatBoy Slim (with Yosemite installed) as startup disk. I press arrow to continue.

After rebooting with 10.10.3 as active system, I again reboot, holding down the "alt" to bring up all available OS X versions/locations (?) to select a reboot system from. Again, I select Install Yosemite 10.10 and press return. Again, I identify "Install OS X Yosemite" as external HD on which to install Yosemite. Again, a warning window appears "This copy of the install OS X Yosemite application can't be verified. It may be corrupted or tampered with during downloading" >> "OK". Clicking "OK" returns to previous screen. The loop is perpetuated.

I can only imagine the perplexity you must be feeling in attempting to advise me. I apologise and thank you gratefully for your kindness.

If I could identify one valid password to authorise any of the listed users (from the external Fat Boy Slim HD icon > Get Info) I think this saga might finally reach a successful finale. I remain

Yours sincerely, ranger1.

P.S. Do you know of any Apple Support site I could approach albeit my (free) OS X support time will have expired, please?

Ask a Question