Problems with installing Yosemite

Reaction score
I'm trying to update a '07 MacBook Pro to Yosemite with a bootable usb stick. I foolishly wiped the hd that had Lion installed.

No matter what I try it insists on starting with the lion recovery partition tools - even setting the startup disk to the Yosemite installer doesn't help.

What is going on? Any ideas on how to Fix it?

Reaction score
I'm trying to update a '07 MacBook Pro to Yosemite with a bootable usb stick. I foolishly wiped the hd that had Lion installed.

No matter what I try it insists on starting with the lion recovery partition tools - even setting the startup disk to the Yosemite installer doesn't help.

What is going on? Any ideas on how to Fix it?

Sad to see no responses...
To add to my problems the app store ALWAYS responds with "This item is temperally unavailable, please try again later" It's been doing that for four days - re downloading Lion or Yosemite.
Btw, the installer usb stick does work on another identicle computer.

Reaction score
First, how did you obtain Yosemite? Did you download it from the App Store? If you did, it should be contained within your "Purchased" Items.

Secondly, you could re-install Lion, and then upgrade to Yosemite. And if you do that right after installing Lion, that is just about the same as a clean, "virgin" installation of Yosemite.

One thing, though, is that if you are using any third party software, you need to insure they are compatible with Yosemite. This site will help you with that:

http://roaringapps.com/apps

The best way to use it is to 1) click on Options, 2) "remove/de-select" Sierra, El Capitan, and Mountain Lion, 3) "remove/de-select" iOS10 and iOS9, and 4) "remove/de-select" Windows 10 and Windows 8.1. You'll just be left with Yosemite, and you can then search any app you want for compatibility.

Ask a Question