Installing problems.

Reaction score
There have been quite a few applications lately that refuse to load. They are usually in a package form, whose icon resembles a blank pdf. icon.

When you double click on it the application will try to load and immediately stop. The first time I saw this I was trying to load Safari 3. It has happened many times since always with the package icon and no app. icon.

Now I am trying to load Parallels with the same results. Tries to load then dies.

Mac Book Pro * Mac OS X (10.4.10) * 2.33 GHz, 2MB RAM *

Reaction score
There have been quite a few applications lately that refuse to load. They are usually in a package form, whose icon resembles a blank pdf. icon.

When you double click on it the application will try to load and immediately stop. The first time I saw this I was trying to load Safari 3. It has happened many times since always with the package icon and no app. icon.

Now I am trying to load Parallels with the same results. Tries to load then dies.

Mac Book Pro * Mac OS X (10.4.10) * 2.33 GHz, 2MB RAM *
Greetings, are you sure that you're downloading the application?
Assuming that you're just clicking on the link to download a file, next time try control-clicking on the link instead and choose "Download linked file" from the menu.:wink:

Reaction score
After you click on the download manager for these applications, you are taken to the window in which you normally drag an icon to applications, instead you have a package to double click on. Then it tries to load briefly, and immediately closes still displaying the applications window.

MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz / 2GB Ram

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
They are usually in a package form, whose icon resembles a blank pdf. icon.

Hi Troglodite,

I've attached a pic of the file icons that appear on your Desktop when you download either an app or other type of file from the internet.

You mention a package download resembling a blank pdf. icon ... the icon should be a box if it is a true .mpkg file ...

Reaction score
Well I found an answer in a round about way. This problem occurred in the applications>utilities folder>installer.app. Many sources recommended the re-installation of the OSX. That would required a lot of work on my part, plus hours of downtime. I simply replaced the installer.app from installation disc one. Now the image is a box, and it opens like it is supposed to.

Caution: Thoroughly read all documentation on the installation discs before you even touch one. Not doing so could cause you to lose all of your information, or disable some parts of your operating system. If you don't understand this area of your system don't touch it without help.

Ask a Question