Mac Pro 2019 + Apple Pro Display Problems with external hard-drive

Reaction score
Do you know why my LACIE external hard drive works properly on the Apple Pro Display XDR but not on the Mac Pro (2019)?

Device Summary:

My Mac Pro (2019) computer is running the 12.4 version, macOS Monterey with the following details:

Processor: 3,2 GHz 16-Core Intel Xeon W
Memory: 32 GB 2933 MHz DDR4

Since I bought it together with the Apple Pro Display XDR, I have been having problems. First, the computer is incompatible with most 3rd Apps - specifically Adobe.
Every time I plug the external hard drive formatted for Mac users (apple care has helped me to do it correctly) it keeps on disconnecting.
An old hard drive I used stopped working completely since the computer created an explosion.
Apple Care has done all the tests possible on the computer and cant detect what the problem is.

I ran many tests to try to sort out the problem, but the only solution I found was that if I connected the hard drive to the Apple Pro Display XDR it never got disconnected.

This is a temporary solution as this should not be this way, is there anyone knowledgeable here that can help me to understand what's going on?

Thank you for your time,
Regards

Dolores

Reaction score
"the external hard drive formatted for Mac users"

APFS is the new standard Mac disk format. Monterey won't recognize any other format, including most that new disk units are shipped with. If that's the issue, then just reformat it, though you'll have to recover the data on it first.

Reaction score
"the external hard drive formatted for Mac users"

APFS is the new standard Mac disk format. Monterey won't recognize any other format, including most that new disk units are shipped with. If that's the issue, then just reformat it, though you'll have to recover the data on it first.
Thank you for your feedback.

My hard-drive was already reformated for mac.
And on top of that, If it would be a Monterey problem, why does it work then when the cable is plugged in my Apple Pro Display XDR and run by Mac Pro (2019) with the Monterey version?

I am trying to figure it out because this expensive computer is only bringing problems, and the more I dig in, the more I might be able to prevent more significant issues.

Thanks for your time
Regards

Ask a Question