Mac osx mavericks internet recovery Apple Id login

Reaction score
I have brought a second hand Mac and i have tried to complete a clean install.
When installing from internet recovery but i dont have an apple id to login when it is about to install.
Any way to bipass the login ?

Reaction score
First, what exact Mac model do you have?

Secondly, do you have an external drive that you can connect to your Mac? If not, do you have access to another Mac? If you do, what model is that machine?

And third, is the file "Install OS X Mavericks" located somewhere on the machine? It could still be in the Applications folder.

Finally, why do you need to complete a clean installation?

Reaction score
Its a 2010 macbook pro, yes i have access to a late model imac with el capitan, the install mavericks file is still on the computer but i erased the hard drive so can only open the recovery drive.

Reaction score
So to make sure, the "Install OS X Mavericks" file is still on the MacBook Pro, even though you erased the hard drive. Is that accurate? And, where exactly is that file?

As long as you have that file, and as long as the iMac has a Thunderbolt port (I assume it does, as you just said "a late model imac"), then after you purchase a Thunderbolt-to-Firewire 800 adapter:

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD464LL/A/apple-thunderbolt-to-firewire-adapter

and along with a Firewire 800 cable, you'll be able to boot the Macbook Pro in Target Disk Mode, and do any Erase/Format/Installation tasks for the Macbook Pro from the iMac.

By the way, is Mavericks the OS you want on the Macbook Pro? If it is, you will also need to get the "Install OS X Mavericks" file onto the iMac. You'll be able to do that via drag and drop from the iMac.

Reaction score
Mavericks is located in the osx base system folder, would i be able to install a later osx this way? Mavericks is just the default osx.

Reaction score
Mavericks is located in the osx base system folder, would i be able to install a later osx this way? Mavericks is just the default osx.

That is "confusing". Right now, I have the "Install OS X El Capitan" file in 4 locations for each of my machines:

1. Still located within the Applications folder (typically goes away after an installation, but I did the installation externally, and thus that the file in that location did not go away).

2. A copy of it in a Folder entitled "/Documents/Upgrades/OS 10.11 & Upgrades".

3. On each of my SuperDuper! backups on two external drives.

So once again, I am specifically referring to the file entitled "Install OS X Mavericks", in your case. By the way, do you have the file ""Install OS X El Capitan" someplace (or possibly in multiple locations, like I do)?

As long as you have that file, there is a way to get up and running. Again, though, I ask as to whether you just want to stick with Mavericks on the MacBook Pro, or do you want to use El Capitan (assuming you have that ""Install OS X El Capitan" file on your iMac)?

Reaction score
When i try to use internet recovery and install using my apple id, i cannot as i havent purchased mavericks under my apple id before, is there any way of allowing me to use my own id here ?

Reaction score
That Apple ID "business" is definitely "problematic", given that you are booting from the hidden Recovery HD partition, and thus I suspect that using that method has a "permanent" link to the original Apple ID. If you have that "Install OS X Mavericks" file, you can get back up and running by booting the MacBook Pro in Target Disk Mode, and connected to the iMac (with the cable and adapter I previously mentioned). Having the "Install OS X Mavericks" file on the iMac will allow you to get around this Appel ID bottleneck you are encountering.

Also, as I mentioned, if you want to install El Capitan on the Macbook Pro, and again as long as you have the file "Install OS X El Capitan" file on the iMac, once again you can boot the MacBook Pro in Target Disk Mode and start the "process" from the iMac.

Ask a Question