Mac not "seeing" printer anymore... was working fine.

Reaction score
My mac has suddenly stopped "seeing" my hp2025 printer.

I was trying to use the printer through Windows via VMWare, and that wasn't working, so I tried reinstalling the printer in windows. That still didn't work, so I gave up and closed VMWare, deciding just to print through Mac instead.

However, with VMWare closed and back in the Mac environment, the printer still wasn't working (all was working fine before all of this)

So, I tried "Reset Print System", and carefully read the warning prompt which said all print queues and waiting jobs would be deleted. It DID NOT mention that all my printers would be removed from my system.

Again, wouldn't be a major deal, just a nuisance to re-install printer. BUT NOW, the mac is not seeing the HP CP2025 laser jet at all. I have tried all kinds of things.. deleted pref files, reset permissions, downloaded new drivers from apple link (a 600MB file installed!?). I've removed all cables, shut off printer and removed power, rebooted, everything I could think of or have seen suggested... but the Mac is still not "seeing" printer when I go to Add Printer. All I see there is my Adobe PDF driver.

So, I'm very frustrated to say the least. Can someone PLEASE help me out, thanks so much!

Reaction score
solved!

User error, as usual

Feel pretty dumb to admit it, but once I disconnected everything, I apparently was not reconnecting correctly. Rather than move the heavy printer, I was "feeling" around the back where the USB cable plugs in. Apparently, the ethernet plug is directly above the USB cord receptacle (and slightly bigger) - so, it appears that I was plugging the squarish end of the USB into the ethernet port rather than the proper location.

haha, oh well. I had a feeling I was ding something drastically wrong, nothing was making sense....

I'm just posting my solution in case someone else makes the same mistake...

Ask a Question